1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? T5 lighting schedule and bulbs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brett McCarthy, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Brett McCarthy GIRS Member

Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone. Just wondering what all the T5 people are using. I have a 5ft 6 bulb ATI with 2 actinic ReefBrite strips to supplement. Currently running 8 hours with 3 B+ and one purple+. 4 hours same as above with with coral plus and 6500 Geismann. All the corals are growing great but some of them just don’t have the best color. I am wondering if I should run more blue instead of the Geismann or less time on the higher par. What is everyone else using and schedule?

2. Brett McCarthy GIRS Member

Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    One example of Bill Murray growth and color

Attached Files:

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I ran a 6 bulb T5 fixture for a long time - no LED strips. I ran 4 ATI Blue plus, 1 purple plus and 1 coral plus. Liked the color very well. Initially I used 6500k bulb instead of the coral plus - great growth but too white.

I'd get another Blue+. Then you can check the different combos to see what you like best.

I Didn't notice much difference growth when the 6500k bulb was removed. The blue+ have very good par.

4. Brett McCarthy GIRS Member

Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I don’t so mind the color with the 6500 I just have lost most of the purples and reds from my corals. I will swap for another blue+ and see if that helps. I know they like those!

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Close to what I used to run over a 120 and frankly I preferred T5s to LEDs. I believe instead of all ATI I had 1 Geisemann in the mix, possibly a super purple but that was a long time ago.

If I remember I ran blue channel from 10am - 10 pm and the daylight from noon to 9pm.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone via App

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021