1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Sump and plumbing advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tbraz, Aug 28, 2016.

1. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hey all, I started plumbing my 180 today but as i got going what i had pictured is looking like less and less of a good idea, I had planned on using 2 27 gallon totes for the sumps, 1 for my algae scrubber and skimmer, and 1 for the return and live rock. I really want to go with an algae scrubber, it put my skimmer out of work on my last tank, but i'm starting to think i should go with a pump fed scrubber instead of running it off the overflows. I'm kinda lost now, and having to buy a new tank has really stressed my budget on this build. So what do you guys recommend me doing for a sump, should i wait until i can find a decent size tank to make a sump or is it possible to to make a decent 1 out of totes.

2. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Really need to get Turbo's input on the scrubber but here is my 2 cents worth. Totes work fine as sumps, etc. so I wouldn't stress on that. I use Brute garbage cans as water holders and salt mixers and that works so it should work for sumps. I also use totes and plastic buckets when transferring or holding water and pretty much everything. I like to play with mangroves but would not use them in anything glass because as they get bigger as the roots will eventually put too much pressure on the glass and seams of a regular tank.

Again, back to Turbo but I suspect the scrubber needs contact time with the water, as do skimmers. A bigger scrubber might be the answer but since your current scrubber is handing the load I would test that out first.

Test, test and test some more.

3. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    A 40b makes a good sump. So do stock tanks. I agree on the scrubber. Contact @Turbo's Aquatics@Turbo's Aquatics

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    When you say 27g totes are you talking about the rubbermaid ones? Or are you talking about the stock tanks you can get at Fleet Farm/etc like this

Freeland 27 Gal. Poly-Tuf Stock Tank

0000000028849.jpg

....and when you say this

How would this work, tank > sump 1 > sump 2 > tank or something else?

As for direct-fed vs pump fed, can really do either, what makes you think feel you cannot to direct fed and have to go with pump fed?

5. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I had just regular totes, i can't think of the brand but i bought them at Theisen's I was thinking about the stock tanks but i didn't see any that would have worked, and yes that layout is what i was thinking. As far as the scrubber I read a post i thought was by you turbo on another site that said pump fed was easier to control than gravity fed. But after work today i stopped by petco just to see what a 40 breeder was going for not on sale, $120, so i decided to wait to find a used 40 or 75 but on a whim i stopped by petsmart and they had the 40s on sale for $40 so i went to menards. got some acrylic and my baffles are drying right now. I'm planning on using my old sump to house my scrubber and it will be pumped from the sump through the scrubber and will gravity feed back into a bubble trap on what would be the fuge side of my sump

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Interesting, never heard of the $40 sale at Petsmart!!

Regarding the baffles, just double checking that you cut them a bit short of the full inner width. Acrylic will expand once you add water and that small amount of expansion can easily crack the glass. Also either use a ton of silicone (and let dry for 2 full weeks prior to use - test in 72 hrs) or silicone in gussets on the down-flow side to keep the baffles secure