1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Stray voltage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AdamLawrence, Oct 14, 2017.

1. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    So I pick up 2 gold bar maroon clowns this morning had my hand in the qt tank and never felt nothing put the fish in and went on my way than I went to feed them tonight dipped my cup in the water and felt a little zap well I got a small cut on my thumb some time today. So I went got my volt meter and had 33 volts so one by one I start unplugging things and nothing happens still have stray in the tank I shut the power completely off to the tank than I lose the stray volts. Could the power strip be bad? I put a ground rod in the tank for tonight hopefully I can figure it out?
    In the tank I have ....
    Hang on the back filter
    Small water pump (for water movement)
    Heater
    Air pump
    Light

Sent from my SM-G955U via App

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Maybe it's the maroons. Have a little bit of the lightning genetics in them. ;)

I wouldn't think the power supply itself would be the issue, but I guess it's possible.
    Also might try physically pulling the filter, pump, and heater out of the tank. If you didn't leave them unplugged long enough they might have been holding a charge.
    Whatever you figure out, you may as well leave the ground rod in the tank. Nothing wrong with a little safeguard.

3. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I'm going with the clowns lol

4. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I like the clown's theory :)

I'm glad it wasn't a big zap. Did you only have one thing unplugged at a time or did you leave things unplugged as you went though each item?

Is your tank protected with a GFCI circuit?

5. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    No I do not have gfci maybe will invest in some now. Probably do the breakers instead of the outlets.
    Yes I unplug everything and didn't do much.

6. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I have a Extension cord that runs to the power strip that it didn't have a ground on it changed cords one with a ground dropped to 3volts after that unplug the heater again than down to zero.
    Lesson learned always use a cord with a ground.