1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Stand and Canopy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B_Braz, Dec 1, 2016.

1. B_Braz

B_Braz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    so I will be starting a build thread soon, but I need some quick advice. I want to build a new stand and I want to do a canopy. I'm gonna be running T5's on a 75gal acrylic tank. I will start with the stand. I'm a tall guy 6'2" anyways but I'm also a pretty broad thanks to the Army
    So I'm thinking that I want a pretty large stand. Meaning the tank will sit high in the air. With the bottom of the tank basically coming up to the bottom of my rib cage. I want to do this so I fit in the stand to make it easier on myself doing maintenance in my sump and running my plumbing. This way I'm not trying to reach into tight spots blindly. The next part is my canopy. I know I need to watch how high above the water level my lights are (par issue). But I also wanna make sure it's large so as to get into the tank without having to move my lights or take the canopy off. What's your thoughts?

Also canopy stuff, I want to install I'm guessing wall plug in computer fans that will be mounted on the sides of the canopy to keep lights cool with a heat register or cold air return on the top of canopy (won't be able to see it) to allow heat to escape. I have a carpenter, painter, and a licensed electrician lined up for this build. But they nothing of the hobby. So they are gonna need hands held through this with me haha. But it's free labor and I have the opportunity to really make this 75 super clean and done right from the start. I pick this tank up on Saturday from Kansas City and expect to start a build thread that vary same day. If not 2mrw. But I really need to have the strand and canopy plans locked in by Monday. Any advice or help in this brain storming would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Idk if this would be as relevant as you would like but I've always been interested in canopies with tracks in them. This way you can roll the light outside of the canopy via detachable door from the front or side allowing you more room and less probability of getting one of the most expensive pieces of equipment wet.
    possible speedbumps would be that you have to allow slack on your cord somehow in order to be able to slide the fixture in and out. Also you might need two detachable doors 1 to move the fixture and 2 to have access to the tank otherwise the track with the fixture on it would be in the way

3. B_Braz

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for that input. I have tossed that very same idea back and forth. My issues with it are as follows.

1. I can't wield to save my life haha and if I went that route I think it would have to be some type of aluminum frame work on some sort of sliding track.

2. Space. If it slides straight out then I'm still dealing with having to work around them. If it slides out from one of the sides, then I need the space right or left for them to slide out. This could be done but it would hinder where I place the tank.

I will say that I love the idea, and I really would love to have this ability, but given my current situation I just don't think I can make this work. Wish I could honestly.

4. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I've been pondering it on my build as well, the result, if built correctly would be so convenient, but it would be such a headache among many others. Mark Levinson (Melev's Reef) has a setup on his monster tank and it just sounds so nice. Maybe since you said it will be a big canopy construct some sort of pulley where you can lift the fixture within the canopy using the hanging kit?

5. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    How big of an area will you have to work with? As in how much room on either side of the tank.

6. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Or skip the canopy and get a ATI 6 bulb Sunpower and hang it over your tank.

7. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    My ATI fixtures are hanging from the ceiling like @jeremy@jeremy said. If you have the room and you want a canopy I would go with something like this:

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

8. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    My stand is oversized. Love it too; it's the best decision I made in my build. I have a 90, so same footprint as the 75, but I hate bending down to look in tanks. My stand is 40" tall, so the top rim of my tank is 65.5" from the floor. I can stand in front of my tank and look right into it without bending down at all. I have a ton of room inside my stand too. :)

I also made my stand six feet wide with my tank centered on the stand. I can upgrade to a six foot tank sometime down the line, but the added foot of work space on either is worth every inch of extra space. I can set my buckets on the sides right next to my tank for siphoning, or can glue corals there, whatever. This also adds to ample room inside the stand. I can store all of my tank equipment and stuff inside my stand. If you have the room, this is a great option.

As far as canopies go, mine isn't finished yet, but it's very light and I can just pull it off and set it aside. My lights are suspended from L brackets mounted to 2x4 risers mounted to my stand and painted to match the wall behind it.

I can post pics if you'd like. I'd have to either find some or take a few when I get home.

9. B_Braz

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    Never thought about a pulley! That may have just solved my dilemma. Gonna think on that today.

Sorry but that's a no go for me. I like/love the look of canopies. I like a very clean look. Nothing showing that would take away from what's inside the tank. Don't get me wrong I have had lights hanging plenty of times. But I never like seeing the lights.

10. B_Braz

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    That look is super clean! I could go for this and be okay if I had too. I still don't like the fact that you would still have the light splash. But that is a pretty sweet canopy! Love it.

11. B_Braz

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    Can get some pics? Sounds sweet and kinda what I'm going for

12. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    This is an old pic but it's one already hosted on the net and makes for an easy plug in. This isn't where the tank ended up, just a mock up before I filled it.
    [​IMG]

13. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    This isn't the best pic, but I totally forgot I had it. I was originally going to have a 75 gallon on this stand, and since you said you were going with a 75, this is the ratio of tank to stand before I skinned it. It also gives a perspective of how high your tank would be with a 40 inch tall stand, you know... for reference. This is in fact where my setup ended up going. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    You will definitely like your tank 40 inches off the floor i had my 220 40 inches off the ground it's like you walk up to it and bam is right their i absolutely love it. I have my new tank 38 inches off the floor had to lower it for head space you are more than welcome to come look at it.

Sent from my SM-N920V via App

15. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    It's a nice tank.

You should go see it just to see what's behind it. ;)

16. B_Braz

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    Haha well when I'm in the area I will hit u up, thanks for the invite. It's looking like I'm gonna go with the top of stand at 48in