1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Spring Fest is over

Discussion in '2011' started by kyle, Mar 26, 2011.

1. kyle

kyle Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know about anyone else, but I came home as happy as a hog in slop!!  :)
      I got most of what I was looking for. I wish some one would have had some calcareousmacro algae plants, but hey...MCNA is coming..MACNA is coming. It was fun to meet some of the people I have only talked to online.
      I have one suggestion for next fall. Name badges with each members forum names.Makes it so much easier to find people when you need to.
        hats off to all the members that make the fests a success
     Kyle :)

2. Ball

Ball Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good event!

My one complaint is there were a dozen or so of us that had to wait outside in the cold for 10-15 minutes. There was hardly any space inside for a line. Maybe next time, the staff can make an bigger area for 30-40 people to stand in line. Its always busy at start time.

3. Gordo

Dallas Center
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I had a great time, thanks to everyone who helped put it together!

4. Ray

Ray

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I also had a great time, spent way to much money though. This was our first frag fest and I was pleased with what we took home. Winning a Phosban reactor was not bad either!!

5. Rutherford

Rutherford Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I 2nd the name badges

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree, it was a great show. I played a less active role in this show participating as a seller instead of working the show. Obviously all shows as a team effort, but Joe and Gered did the majority of the work for the show and I think they did a heck of a job. I sold a bunch, but came home with some great corals too. My frag tank is almost as full coming home today as what it was preparing for the show yesterday. I picked up lots of new chalices (bubblegum monster, rainbow sherbert, orange sherbert, and a few others), some new acros including a pink lemonade, a lime green lokani, a few zoas and a cluster of acans. I went there without really having anything in particular that I was looking for and ended up bringing home a bunch of new corals. As always , thanks for the great deals guys!!!

--AJ

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We can certainly make them available for people to put on if they want to do so...probably just the generic "Hello, my name is" type sticker name badges that they can write out and put on.  I know we encourage the use of them at our regional events.
    --AJ

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Uhm are you from around here?  IMO the weather was fairly nice, it could have been 2 degrees out.  This is Iowa for peets sake...get a coat!

9. rgreene

rgreene

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i also agree i spent too much money but it was worth it

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So what's up with that?  Why did non-board members have to man the raffle ticket sales and do announcements for speakers, while you just played "frag seller".
    To me it kind showed your commitment level as acting president.
    Just sayin'....

11. Darby

Darby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We had agreat time as well the speakers were great. Thanks to both of them, I spent WAY TO MUCH MONEY!![​IMG] I won some ati purple plus t5 bulbs. That was awesome, except they are 36 inch and i need 48 inch. So if some one is in need let me know. Thanks for the event folks.

12. tomAtk

tomAtk Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    had a great time as well now just need a pump to supply that skimmer i won

13. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    How about a Reeflo Dart Hybrid?  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

14. Ball

Ball Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, I live in Cali and flew here for the show...
    It was in the high 30's, low 40's?  Of course, everyone in line had a coat.  It was very windy, cold, and there was no reason to keep women and children standing in the cold while you and everyone else was in the nice hot, humid environment indoors.   I could see if an unusual number of people were there, but having only room for 15 or so people in a building that size is an opportunity for improvement in the future.
    Its was just a suggestion for improvement for the next show.  The event was great, just trying to help as it could be bad weather this coming fall.

15. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to thank the board and non board members that help make this event a success. I spent way more money then I wanted,

16. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think it was probably one of better shows we have had. Winning something at the raffle really helped...

Good times!! Can't wait for MACNA!!!

17. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    I spent more $ then i ever have lots of cool frags and even brought home a clam this time i think it went great all around but it didnt seem like we had as many people as last year do you keep track of how many people were there o ya still have to tell the wife how much $ i spent/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/whistling.gif i think i will wait untill she asks me /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

18. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Jeremy,
    Not the case at all.  With this show being in DSM, Joel worked with Joe and Gered to facilitate this show.  I made myself available to assist as needed.  Since Joe and Gered had done so much on this show, I didn't want to step on toes and forcefully inject myself in some of those things.  I figured if they wanted me to help out and do any of those things, they knew that I was available to them.  So it doesn't have anything to do with my commitment level, but more out of respect for those that did the majority of the work.  Give me a call if you want to discuss this more.  I'll PM you my phone numbers.
    --AJ

19. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I had a pretty good time. Got to hang out with some old friends, meet some new ones, give the raffle a spin and even brought home a few extra corals. I want to thank all those who helped make this event what it was, it's not easy and I thank you for the time and effort you put in. I noticed a few things that somewhat bothered me though. It's extremely rude and honestly disrespectful to watch sellers and vendors buying and selling corals before an event starts, while 40 people stood in the cold some of the cherry corals were getting picked an hour before the event started. The lack of help 3/4 of the board forgot to contribute, I can understand that many were selling but it's an obligation you took on. The secretary showing up an hour after the event starts and honestly never once seeming to care about helping at all. The president never welcoming or thanking the guests for attending, no thanks to the vendors for making the trip. I'm just glad that Steph has it in her heart to do the stuff she does.....cause if she wasn't there no one would have any idea how many came in, what raffle tickets were sold and so on. As a paying member of the club I was pissed for most of the day, even the 2 hours i helped sell tickets cause everyone else was too busy....why help?

20. FlyingMoray Experienced Reefkeeper

Minburn, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much everyone for the help to make Spring Fest such a great event! Thanks to all that helped at the registration desk and those that helped in other ways. We couldn't have done it without you. And a very special thanks to Steph and husband Nick for the great help and food!