1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Spilled A Little Water

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MantisLvr, Jul 16, 2016.

1. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Have a emperor 400 and I put a media bag with phosphate remover media in back of it. I had part of the bag draped over the outside. Didn't realize it absorbed water and began to drip water on to the floor below about a gallon and a half. I am sure the carpet pad and wood sub floor are still wet or damp this morning. Can't move tank or lift carpet. I have a fan on the area right now except for what might be under the stand. My question is am I in danger of it growing mold?

2. Deleted member 3590

Deleted member 3590 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Keeping the fan on it is good, I'd also put a dehumidifier as close to it as possible. Sure it would draw moisture from the tank but should help the carpet. With those steps I'd doubt mold would develope.

3. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I don't have a dehumidifier hopefully fan will be enough. Anyone else's opinion welcome.

4. chromess 01

chromess 01

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I had a skimmer freak out and dump about 20 gallons on the floor. This was in a tiled room and the carpet in the next room got wet, also had another tank next to it and water got under it. Shopvac'd what I could, mutiple fans and dehumidifiers and it was all good. No damage to tank/stands or carpet/floor walls. With your smaller amount I think you should be ok.

5. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the encouragment. I will not worry about it.

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    It will dry fine from the fan

7. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    If you have not already done so you might want to soak up the salt with rags using tap or RO water so it doesn't stain. Then a shop vac can be used to pull out as much water as possible. After that the fan should take care of it.
    Having the AC on will also help as much or more than a dehumidifer.

8. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the advice.

9. Placid

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0
    Put the fan on low. People naturally think putting on high helps more, but doesn't. I learned this with my contract with ServPro when pulling water out of basements.

• Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  10. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks its finally dry after 5 days with two fans going.