1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

So there's this :-/

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corey.nolta, Aug 21, 2017.

1. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Just finishing up a water change and was checking everything out after...and discovered this. Seems to have come out of nowhere. I'm at the tank daily and haven't noticed any signs of stress, scratching, quick or labored breathing, and I have never noticed any spots before. I was out of town this weekend, so this happened over the past two days. Can black ich strike that fast? Just seems odd to me that it went from 0-60 in no time flat.

File Aug 21, 4 46 50 PM.jpeg

He eats like pig. I feed nori daily which he just obliterates and once a week I add a few drops of garlic to the nori. He also eats the flakes, pellets, and meat when I feed the tank that. So in short, has a pretty good diet and seems healthy to me. He ate all his nori that I put in this morning (before noticing this), so is still eating just fine. I've been watching from a far since I noticed and he still is showing no signs of stress or scratching.

Looks like I'll be ordering a bottle of Prazipro....Question is, will he be fine until I receive the bottle in the mail? Just from reading quick, black ich i much less severe than regular ich.
    :facepalm::inpain::headwally:

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 1
    • List
  2. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I would do a 5 min fresh water dip it will kill most of the worms of black ich. Just match it to your tanks temp and aerate for 1/2 prior.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Can't say I've ever heard of "black ich". Maybe I've been living under a rock

4. I've herd of it but never seen it in person. If it is a fish only tank you can drop the salinity to shock em. Also stir the gravel up a little bit (they live in the substrait until they find a host.) freshwater dip would help but like I said when they aren't on your fish they are in your substrait.

5. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Treating the DT with prazipro will kill it as it is not actually ich but a form of worm that causes the black spots. But for temporary relief I would perform a fresh water dip.

• Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    So that's good news I guess, right?
    does that mean that it doesn't have a life-cycle that you have to break like you do with ich or similar parasites?

7. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Very easy to treat remove any carbon, dose prazipro on day 1 leave in the water for 24 hrs
    (Your skimmer will probably go nuts) perform a 20-25% WC and add carbon. Then on day 7 dose prazipro again and leave in water for 24hrs. The second dose is to kill any eggs that hatched after first dose. Prazi will kill the worms but not the eggs.

8. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Prazi may kill any feather dusters or other ornamental worms, also bristle worms.

9. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Pleased to say that tang is officially pest free. :) I'll dose the tank again in a few days. Prazipro is pretty awesome!

Sent from my iPhone via App

10. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    It's great home fast it works isn't it? Dose the second dose on the 6th day and you should be problem free.