1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Skimmer, Return Pump, and Heater

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by Brandon-1, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Brandon-1

Brandon-1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My name is Brandon Luke and I recently decided to start back up in the hobby. I am setting up my 90 gallon reef ready tank with oceanic wet/dry sump. I need a submersable (slimmer) skimmer, and a strong enough return pump to make up for any need of power heads. I am choosing to start off with a fish only tank, and I am sure I will eventually work my way back into a reef tank/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif If you have any of these I would love to come pick those items up this weekend so I can get started!1
    Thanks for your help, and its good to be back!!

Brandon

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A few tips/questions. When you say submersible skimmer, do you mean just something in sump? I have never heard a skimmer be called submersible before. There are some nano skimmers that I guess are technically submersible, but anyway, some clarification might be helpful. As for the return, it is generally discouraged to have your return pump be your only means of flow. This generally puts extremely high flow through the sump, which isn't the goal. You are also almost certainly going to have dead spots in the tank with only one source of flow. Being a FOWLR, this isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world, but it will increase your cleaning/maintenance requirements inside the tank. It also may make it more difficult to get you started on corals if/when you want to.

3. Brandon-1

Brandon-1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have no desire to have any corals in my tank, this will simply be a fish only tank. I am looking for a skimmer that has a submersable pump b/c it will be located in my sump.

4. Brandon-1

Brandon-1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the return pump, just in need of a heater and skimmer if anyone out there has either of these! Thanks!