1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tip Set your location

Discussion in 'Website Items, Issues & Feedback' started by Bud, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    It's easy!

Hover then click to go to your Personal Details

Location 1.JPG

Set your location (and save)

Location 2.JPG

Now it shows up on your posts!

Location 3.JPG

Bazinga!

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Hint: it helps to enter "IA" instead of "Iowa" as this turns into a link that takes you to Google Maps.

So if you just enter "Norwalk" for instance, that will actually link to Norwalk, Virginia for some reason. Instead, enter "Norwalk, IA" with the comma

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Bumping this!

I've been updating people's location as I see them post. The only things I've been doing are:

- adding "IA" when they have their town listed, but no state. So if they list "Newton", I'll modify that to "Newton, IA"
    - Correcting "Iowa" to "IA"
    - Otherwise, formatting the location correctly with city-comma-space-state type of format

However if you have only a state listed, like "Iowa" or a county or more generic location, I'm leaving that as-is. Some people prefer to leave it more generic for one reason or another, so even if you post your city/location in a thread, I am not taking that information and using it to update your location.

So if you notice that changing on your profile/posts, that was me doing that! This is in preparation for rolling in a new addon that adds your location to a User Map based on what you have entered (and it has to follow a standard format, like Google Maps would use to drop a pin)

Once that addon is installed, anyone who registered and adds their location will be able to use an "autofill" feature that will give you a list of locations to select from as you type - so this disparity will automatically go away.