1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Solved Royal Flasher Wrasse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maureen, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    My wrasse jumped into the overflow. How can I get him out? Any ideas?

2. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Can you get your hand/arm into the overflow? I can in mine. If so, what I've done in the past is to turn off my return pump. Then siphon a majority of the water out of the overflow (being careful not to siphon the fish. When there is a 4-6 inches left in the overflow, then use a cup, small plastic container, or you hand to capture him.

3. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    "The MegaFlow Overflow System by All-Glass Aquarium is engineered to allow maximum water flow to the main filter system, while greatly reducing cascading water sound. The MegaFlow Overflow System design draws water from the surface, mid-range, and bottom levels of your aquarium." So I can't drain it, water will flow in from the bottom and mid level, plus it is too deep I cant reach the bottom. Keep the ideas coming! thanks!

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Get a 1 inch hose, start a siphon and suck him out. Do you have lids on the rest of the tank? I have heard of them jumping back and forth

5. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    The tank has a lid over the entire tank but he must of jumped just right and made it in one of the overflows. I heard him do it and searched for him yesterday. Looked in both the overflows but did not see him in there until today when I searched again.

6. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Same idea as @beckerj3@beckerj3 but use a stick (like rigid airline tubing) to chase him away from the bottom, if you can get your hand or net below the fish, slowly bring it up and it'll jump back into the tank or it'll stay at the top and you can catch it and put it back in the tank. I had a clown that did this all the time back when i had an AIO tank.

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Maureen, megaflow overflows have a double wall, and draw water in through the front panel at various points but then water is routed up inside the double wall and over the top of the overflow. Look down over the top of the overflow and you will see the front panel with teeth, and a 1/2" wide gap and a second solid internal wall. Sometimes they make that front panel removable (false wall)

You can drain out the chamber without draining out the tank. Otherwise, if someone pulled a standpipe out of the bulkhead, or didn't use a standpipe at all, their tank would drain out.

8. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Good to know Bud. That has always scared me. Once I did pull the standpipe out when trying to adjust it and you should have felt the panic in me as I tried as fast as possible to get it back in because it sounded like the whole thing was draining! I started to siphon it into a bucket but quit when it had about 4 gallons in it because I did not want a mess with overflow on the floor. My hose was not long enough to reach the sump. The problem is now solved. I put several nets in at the bottom eliminating his places to hide and I forced him to come into a spot where I netted him. I hope the wrasse does not do it again. What a pain!!!! Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions.

9. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    have you tried draining it? HIGH MID LOW overflows still typically employ an intraspace baffle. so that you can drain them. Specifically, you should have no problem removing the water because the flow level will eventually hit the baffle limit.

I can almost assure you that they use an instraspace baffle. Without it most of the water of the over flow would come form the bottom of the tank due to the natural pressure of the tanks water pushing the rest through. Try draining it, and see what you get.
    --- Auto-Merged, Sep 2, 2015 ---
    Like Bud said*
    (Finish thread before posting)

10. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again, Bud did a good job explaining it so I did get it. I knew the extra wall was in there but I guess working on my tank always makes me insecure that I am going to break something or flood the house. Especially when you can hear the water flowing really fast!

11. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Also, when performing a water change, I periodically pull the water from the overflow - lot of ugly water comes out of there.

12. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Luckily for my wrasse the water was clear and clean in the over flow.

13. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I bet he ends up in there again.... I have a wrasse that is a frequent visitor to my overflow. Luckily for me I can just go behind the tank, drain the overflow and get him out.
    If you can put something on top of the overflow that would meet up with your lids that should keep him out of there again.

14. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I hope your not right but you may be. If he does it again I will have to start thinking of how to solve the problem. I had to bring a step ladder into the house to be able to get over the back of my tank and down in it.

15. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0
    Is the drain pipe glued into the baffle or just pressed in? If its not glued you could just pull the pipe out and let him take a ride to the sump.

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Bulkhead? But yes, that would work if he was small enough

17. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I did think of that as an after thought and it would be a last resort. It comes back to once again that I am kind of a chicken when taking things apart and messing with them. I always think of what am I going to do if something breaks, or leaks, or I can't get it back together again, so I am cautious.

18. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Hmmmm. My water in the overflow is clear, but there is always a bunch of detritus settled in the bottom that I'm siphoning out.

19. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I got some black acrylic sheet and cut to fit over the overflow for a lid. I have a clown that liked to jump in the overflow. I fished him out with a small net. I got sick of doing that everyday so I made lids to keep him out.

20. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I might have to do something like that if this keeps happening, the black acrylic sounds like a good idea. @beckerj3@beckerj3 I could see all the way to the bottom with my flashlight and I did not have any sediment. I will have to take a look every few months to see if any builds up. All I had were some Spirorbis.