1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Solved RODI system is dropping pressure?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I've had the BRS 4 stage (150GPD) RODI system for about a year. The pressure gauge started out showing about 60 when I first hooked it up. Over time it dropped to about 40. I changed all 3 canister filters about 2 months ago.

The pressure gauge is now reading 20 and I'm not sure why. Does anybody know what is happening? Do I need to clean out the micron filter? Do I need to change the canister filters again? Or maybe I overfilled the DI resin canister?

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Usually its one of the prefilters clogging. But it could be something physically plugging a line too. If you can move you pressure gauge easily you should be able to trace exactly where you're loosing pressure. Keep moving it up the line of filters until you find where pressure is normal again. That's what I ended up doing and figured out my brand new BRS filters were causing all my problems.
    I wouldn't think it's your RO since those are typically after the pressure gauge.

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    May be wrong about the pressure gauge. Just looked at mine and it's after the RO membrane.
    Do you have a DI flush valve on your unit? When I open mine the pressure drops. The other thing is there should be a flow restrictor. I think it goes in the waste water line and is what causes back pressure on the membrane allowing it to work. Maybe that's not restricting and building pressure in the system?

4. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I had an issue once when the city was flushing out the fire hydrants which plugged my prefilters . And it was about this time of year also

5. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. I'll try moving the pressure gauge and see what filter is causing it. I do have a flush valve and I've tried leaving that open for 15-20 minutes to flush everything but it didn't help.

6. Jonathon

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    What are you using for prefilters? I've heard the 1 micron sediment/carbon filters can clog easily so if you are using 1 micron that may be why they are clogging up so quickly.

7. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'm using the one that came in the BRS replacement filter kit. BRS website says it's a Purtrex 1 micron sediment filter and 1 micron carbon filter. I'm not at home to verify right now. What would you recommend using instead of the 1 micron filters?

8. DNW

Jesup, IA
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    If your filters are plugging that quickly you may want to look at adding a whole house filter to your main water line where it enters your house. Most are around 3 micron which will make all your filters last a lot longer and clean the rest of the water for your house.

9. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    @DNW@DNW I ran the RODI for about 8 months with only a light decrease in pressure over time and then after I replaced all the filters, I saw the dramatic decrease in pressure. I think one of the new filters got plugged somehow when I put them back in. Do you guys refill your filters with water when you change out the filters or do you let them start dry and cycle new water through all the canisters?

10. DNW

Jesup, IA
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    i usually leave them dry, that way all water going past them is filtered. the reason I say quickly is that I have only ever changed my carbon blocks out due to chlorine getting by. I am still running my original sediment filter from 2 years ago and still haven't seen any type of pressure drop running the same system.

11. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I changed my sediment filter because it was completely brown and I thought that meant it was time to change? I guess I might have been a little premature on changing it.

12. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I figured it out. It was the second stage, 1 micron carbon block. I think I just got a bad one from BRS when I changed filters 2 months ago. I'm back up to 80 PSI now.