1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Returning member questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tolkein6, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Tolkein6

Coralville
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

I have been inactive for a number of years but am rejoining the ranks!

I have a 100 gallon long that has been sitting dormant in my living room for many years that I am going to restart. I have most of the old equipment, but times have changed and it seems as though LED lighting is what is being used now? I would like to get to the point where I can keep a mixed reef tank. Can I get some advice on lighting for a 72" tank that won't break that bank? I had some halides in the past, that I think no longer function and I have 72" power compact fixture that still works. The PC has 2 double bulb 36" actinics and 2 dbl bulb daylights all 96w. It also has some blue LED's...moonlights perhaps? Will this work for hard corals and to grow coralline algae? I don't know how much run time is on the pc's either. Is there a way to tell without buying a par meter? To save money could I install 1 new LED with the proper illumination for SPS and coralline...perhaps in the middle of the tank and put SPS in that area? I was in SOM recently and Hung told me that all of his coralline died as a result of using LED's...but for him the trade-off in reduced energy and heat generated was worth it. Are there mid priced LED's that will work?

Thank you

2. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
  3. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team GIRS Member

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    If you're willing to wait for the right opportunity, my advice would be to buy used lights from someone who's upgrading or getting out of the hobby. There's almost always someone here or on Facebook selling good quality lights for a fraction of what they'd cost new.

There are literally an infinite number of opinions on which lights are best. I like LED's because you don't have the maintenance of changing bulbs regularly. I'm also not into the high end or difficult corals. I got some nice used ones really cheap from right here on the GIRS site. They're certainly not state-of-the-art, but they grow coraline just fine and are plenty good enough for most corals, including some SPS. However, there are some people who will say you need metal halide or T5 to get optimal spectrum and growth. Some use different combinations of the 3, but one thing is for sure, almost no one uses compact fluorescents anymore.

Ultimately it's all up to you as far as what corals you want to keep, how fast you want them to grow, and how much you're willing to spend. There are people in this group that can help you no matter what your goals are. They've certainly been a big help to me.

4. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Welcome back!!!

5. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I've heard that from him too but my LED's grow coralline great. I'm just getting ready to switch my system over to T5 with LED supplement. My growth and color hasn't been fantastic and I think this is due to me having a difficult time getting the right intensity and spectrum with LED. Some people have zero issue at all. For me personally I think it will take some of the guess work out of it by going T5 (a proven plug and play great growth and color light source) and LED supplement (brings out additional coral color that T5 spectrum may not & overall visual tank appeal).

6. Tolkein6

Coralville
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

I have been inactive for a number of years but am rejoining the ranks!

I have a 100 gallon long that has been sitting dormant in my living room for many years that I am going to restart. I have most of the old equipment, but times have changed and it seems as though LED lighting is what is being used now? I would like to get to the point where I can keep a mixed reef tank. Can I get some advice on lighting for a 72" tank that won't break that bank? I had some halides in the past, that I think no longer function and I have 72" power compact fixture that still works. The PC has 2 double bulb 36" actinics and 2 dbl bulb daylights all 96w. It also has some blue LED's...moonlights perhaps? Will this work for hard corals and to grow coralline algae? I don't know how much run time is on the pc's either. Is there a way to tell without buying a par meter? To save money could I install 1 new LED with the proper illumination for SPS and coralline...perhaps in the middle of the tank and put SPS in that area? I was in SOM recently and Hung told me that all of his coralline died as a result of using LED's...but for him the trade-off in reduced energy and heat generated was worth it. Are there mid priced LED's that will work?

Thank you[/QUOTE]

Next question...I have a 4 stage RO from "The Filter Guys" that I assume needs all new guts. Where does everyone get their supplies for these at a reasonable rate?

Thanks again!
    Mark

7. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Bulk Reef Supply has great RODI equipment and prices.

8. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    Air water and ice also is very good

9. Tolkein6

Coralville
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

10. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    Couldn't agree more, I shop around for everything anymore and no one comes close to those guys in that department IMO. Cant beat the Dow membranes and their prices, don't fall for other guys claims. They have a lot of great videos with relevant information, reviews, and credible tests.
    If you aren't in a hurry, seems like every holiday they have a sale on that stuff.