1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

ReefCleaners / Reeftopia DSM Group Buy & Donation

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Bud, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

I need a bunch of cleaners and the Boone High School Marine Biology Program need a good Clean-Up-Crew. So we are doing a group buy in the Des Moines area for reefcleaners.org. This is separate from the one that jstngates started (he sort of beat us to it, but that encompassed the CR area).

The idea here is that if you need something then you can join the group buy for whatever you need, and if you feel like it, you can add $5, $10, or whatever you wish to donate towards a CUC for the Boone HS program.

If you do not wish to order anything, you can still donate!

Chris C. has already pledged to donate $20.

If there is anything that needs overnight (express) shipping, the order is free if we're over $175, otherwise it's $28. I have a $28 shipping credit from about 3 years ago and I will donate that so that we will all get free shipping, so the price you see on their site is now the price you pay - no splitting up shipping charges! If we go over $175, then I'll donate that $28 to Boone CUC fund.

I have to figure up what I am getting but it will be a hefty crew for 3 100g+ tanks.

Please post on this thread what you wish to order and/or donate.

Orders will be taken up through the end of the day Friday October 4th. Items will ship on Monday 10/7 and will arrive on Tuesday 10/8 at Nick's house in Des Moines. You will need to pick the items up on Tuesday or make arrangements for someone to pick them up for you.

2. jazzybio13 MBI Breeder

Ames
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm up in Ames and wouldn't mind hosting the group buy if needed...(if you don't have a location yet)...as I have a bunch to order via reef cleaners (I need a couple bulk items). I'm up to 100 so far, and boone's not too far out from here I could take them out to shannon, or she could easily swing by here. Either way... let me know when your planning on putting it in.

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Great idea to get a CUC order in and help the Boone high school all at once.

4. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I will donate 20.00 as well. Order coming shortly. I can have it shipped here if you want BUd. I also have to go work on the Boone tank so i will take it. Thanks for the offer Jazzy, if something comes up and I can not make it I will let you know.

5. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Here is what I have for Boone so far. I will add more as more funds are donated.

Cart
    10 x Zig Zag Periwinkles $1.50
    3 x Virgin Nerites $2.25
    2 x Thin Striped Hermit* $6.00
    10 x Nerite Snails $7.50
    3 x Nassarius Vibex $1.35
    6 x Medium/Larger Empty Hermit Shells $0.90
    2 x Fuzzy Chiton* $7.00
    12 x Florida Cerith $7.20
    6 x Empty Hermit Shells $0.48
    1 x Emerald/Ruby Mithrax Crab* $4.50
    5 x Dwarf Planaxis $3.25
    25 x Dwarf Cerith $4.25
    1 x Brittle Star* $6.00
    5 x Assorted Hermits* $3.00
    10 x Blue Leg Hermit Crab* $5.00
    101 Products $60.18

6. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Here is what I want.Some is for boone some is for me. I will sell Dwarf Cerith for 10 for a dollar to whoever wants.

Cart
    1 x 500 Dwarf Cerith Snail Special $50.00
    1 x 100 Florida Ceriths* $45.00
    10 x Zig Zag Periwinkles $1.50
    3 x Virgin Nerites $2.25
    2 x Thin Striped Hermit* $6.00
    5 x Nerite Snails $3.75
    3 x Nassarius Vibex $1.35
    6 x Medium/Larger Empty Hermit Shells $0.90
    2 x Fuzzy Chiton* $7.00
    1 x Emerald/Ruby Mithrax Crab* $4.50
    5 x Dwarf Planaxis $3.25
    1 x Brittle Star* $6.00
    5 x Assorted Hermits* $3.00
    10 x Blue Leg Hermit Crab* $5.00
    55 Products $139.50

7. BioTeacher

BioTeacher

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Wow! That looks awesome! Thanks! I'm excited! The kids love seeing new things in the tanks. They keep asking about shrimp and crabs. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

8. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    10 Netrite = 7.50
    6 Chiton = 21
    10 Limpets = 7.50

Total $36 plus $4 donation = $40

9. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Thanks!!/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

10. BioTeacher

BioTeacher

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Thank you, hart!!!! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

11. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say Thanks to all of those that have decided to order and have chosen to donate! If you really look at what it means to be a club, this is it. We are here to help educate each other and also educate others. When we are able to partner with a school and help even in the littlest way, we can really make change in our hobby. BioTeacher is not in this on her own. She has support of club members and we as the Des Moines Region hope to continue to support her.

When I reflect on what got me in to this hobby, it has a lot to do with the first fish tank I ever saw as my 5th grade class toured Central Campus Marine Biology Lab here in Des Moines. I feel honored to be able to help in any way get more people interested in our hobby! Hope you all feel the same way.

THANKS!!!!!

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    We're going to make this a dual-group buy, we're adding in Reeftopia to the order as well. Reeftopia has Turbo snails and a better price on Peppermint Shrimp, and Nick needs both of these. We only need to get to $125 to get free shipping on Reeftopia.

Right now, Nick is getting:

20 Pepperment Shrimp @ $2.50 each (2x 10 packs) = $50
    100 turbo Snails = $45

So we're already at $95 for that one.

Reefcleaners has better prices on most things, but reeftopia has a little more variety.

Also we are going to close the Group Buy on Friday night or early Saturday so that we can place the orders over the weekend and have everything shipped on Monday, to arrive at Nick's on Tuesday - he will be home all day to make sure the order is received.

We want to give this enough time for everyone to get their order in. Thanks!!

Chris, can you update the title to read "ReefCleaners / Reeftopia DSM Group Buy & Donation" please?

Thanks!

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    For my order, I will be getting these following at a minimum:

Bulk Lot of 100 Nerite Snails: $50
    Bulk Lot of 100 Florida Cerith Snails: $45

Total $95

Will probably add more

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I'm also going to order a bunch of Nassarius Vibex. This is going to put us over the $275 minimum for an reefcleaners-packaged group buy. This means that we will be setting this up so that you can place your order directly with reeflceaners.org and they will package your order separately so that when you come to pick it up, you can just grab your bag and go.

Since Nick and I are getting the bulk lots of ceriths, dwarf ceriths, and nerites, these will be easy to portion out. If we have enough interest, we can throw on another bulk lot. I am getting mine order for 3 different tanks so I could easily add another bulk lot with only a little more interest.

15. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I would be willing to throw in another $10.00 for a total of $30.00 if Smouse tank needed a little extra help. I know it isn't much, but I think it could do them good!

16. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I am giving some of this to Smouse as well. Thanks Chris!
    - now Free

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  17. BioTeacher

BioTeacher

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Wow, Chris! Beautifully written! I really appreciate your efforts and your help! I know my kids do, too! Thanks!

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

To summarize, as of now:

Donations:

Chris C: $30

Nik: $20

Bud (me): $28

Hart: $4

Total: $82

Reefcleaners.org order (now over the $275 threshold):

Nick: $139.50

Hart: $36

Bud (Me): $104 (added 20 Nassarius)

Total: $279.50

Reetopia.com order (need $125 for free shipping, at $200 there is a 10% discount):

Nik: $95

Total: $95

19. jazzybio13 MBI Breeder

Ames
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm still looking over reeftopia.... when will the order need to be placed? did I miss over that somwehere?

20. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    We will be closing the order on either Friday night or Saturday morning so that it can be shipped on Monday and arrive on Tuesday the 8th.