1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Reef safe chemical for cleaning equipment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fort Dodger, Apr 14, 2020.

1. I have been experimenting with a variety of different powerful cleaning agents, to remove coraline algae from frag racks, empty sumps/tanks, and other items. Finally, I think I have found the perfect cleaner: Food grade ascorbic acid... also known as L-ascorbic acid, C6H8O6, or... more commonly known as "Vitamin C".

It is safe to get on your skin, and yet is a moderately powerful reducing agent that will eat away rust stains, will dissolve calcium, and will rinse away with plain water leaving no residue whatsoever.

It is a white powder that tastes super-tangy but good, sort of like what kids would enjoy for super-sour candy. There are no medical cases in any scholarly literature of anyone overdosing on taking too much ascorbic acid (probably because you pee it right out).

I bought a 50 pound box of it on Ebay that they shipped over from China.

I've been using it like the guy on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" who puts Windex on everything. I use it for cleaning, I mix a gram of it into my juice and drink it,... heck I've heard of people mixing it with gel and putting it on their faces to remove age spots. Bottom line is its safe, safe, safe for a reef tank. In fact, I have some liquid fish food nutrient enhancer that lists ascorbic acid as one of the ingredients.

If you put a little ascorbic acid powder on a sponge you can use it to wipe away calcium deposits and rust from equipment without scratching acrylic. Then just rinse it off and you're done. Rinse it twice if you are a worry wart. :)

You can buy a 2 pound tub of ascorbic acid on Amazon.com for $30.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nutricost-Pu...&keywords=ascorbic+acid&qid=1586890595&sr=8-9

Good for strengthening your immune system too!

2. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I would have to find the source again to verify this, but I've read that you can sterilize with a bleach solution, and once dried it is safe. I think the application I had read that in was for sterilizing live rock actually! Might have to check out the video archive for BRS for that one

3. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I buy citric acid in 20lb bags and use that on mineral deposits, coralline, and use it to clean pumps & power heads. 2 cups citric acid to 1 gal rodi. No smell, safe, food grade.
    Bleach works good to sterilize or clean off anything organic like algae. I clean my filter socks in 40ml bleach to 5 gal water, rinse once with tap water, rinse 2nd time with rodi, let dry.

4. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm not in the hobby right now, but I've always used white vinegar and water. Let it sit a day or two and it works really well to clean equipment.