1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

reef octo (skimmer) issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChapmanFM, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Did my weekly water change, and my reef octopus is over flowing not matter what way I adjust it, it is filling up the cup. any ideas?

2. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Is the pump pulling the usual amount of air? If the air intake gets blocked your pump pulls less (or no) air which results in it pushing much more water through. If your skimmer looks like it has fewer bubbles in the body this would likely be cause.

3. I just put on a new sock, and Im wondering if that is what is causing it.

4. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I have heard fillter socks to be the cause just pre soak them and that should help the skimmer from running over.

Sent from my SM-G955U via App

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    The filter sock could be the connection but just for future reference, depending on the version you have that air intake "ring" on the pump will eventually get clogged up with deposits and restrict or block the air flow. IIRC it's a 2-part piece to you can take it apart and vinegar soak to get all the gunk out, and then the airflow will be much better.

6. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Yes, new socks can definitely be the cause of an overflowing skimmer. New filter pads can do this as well. Kind of makes you wonder what chemicals are in there. I don't use filter socks anymore but I always rinsed new ones pretty well in tap water and then soaked them in a bucket of RO.