1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Recent Trend in Aquarium Books

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fence13, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    So I really wanted to vent about what appears to be a recent trend with aquarium books these days. For anyone who likes to read up on aquarium related things, you probably know how hard it is to find good literature about aquariums and everything that goes inside of them.

So last night in my research I stumbled upon a set of small books by Robert Fenner. I was interested, because I know he's a well known smart guy, so I purchased the one about Scorpionfishes. Let me tell you, for 106 pages and $10, it was a complete waste of money. I finished it in a hour, and I don't read that fast. And that's a clue to the problem. You have really smart people who know way more than I ever could and they just re-hash their online articles into a book and sell it.

Scorpionfishes: Lionfishes & Much More for Marine Aquariums Diversity, Selection & Care by Robert Fenner

The book is literally a combination of all the articles on WetWebMedia. There are even some typos here and there, but the more bothersome thing is that the book repeats itself about 4 or 5 times on certain items. The author/editor/whomever did not bother to make changes to the articles so you get a repeat everytime a lionfish and scorpionfish have something in common. (For those of you who aren't as familiar with those two groups of fish....they have a lot in common). All the pictures are from his website, and there is nothing new you can learn from the book that you can't learn from reading the website.

There are other books by him that were published the same time as this one (pretty much one book for each type of fish), so with warning, save yourself the money and go read it all online, for free.

Above, I mentioned a trend. There is another book about Lionfishes that I bought some years ago that is also a copy of online articles.

Lionfishes and Other Scorpionfishes (Aquarium Success) by Marini, Frank E., Ph. D.

Also save yourself the money and read the actual online article for free. Here's the link:
    http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php

Overall, I guess I'm just disappointed that you have all these new books by a good author, and they are all just copies of free articles. All the more ironic because I bought the ebook online. If Sprung, Delbeek, or Vargas, Mr. SaltwaterTank, or anyone else started doing this, I would be disappointed in them too. Don't buy them, save yourself the money.

• Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Doesn't he run wet web media? It would make sense that he takes his online articles and publishes them into his books.
    You can't exactly publish books one article at a time to keep new content coming and keep people interested like you need to do on the internet.
    Before the internet i'm sure these authors submitted the articles to various magazines and research papers before they compiled them into the books. Same principal, its just the info on the internet is easier to access.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I have 50+ reef books, havent seen a decent one in a decade

• Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  4. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    I think the hope is that there is something new in the book not just a compilation of everything that's already written. This is not a scholarly thesis so it's not going to peer review.
    Yes he does run the website, and others contribute to it (i believe, don't quote me) but why not add something new if you're making a book? A new chapter to go with your articles? Something that would drive people to buy the book.

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Ok, I guess I assumed there would be some additions to the book that wouldn't be found online. If it's strictly the same content compiled into a book, then you're right what's the point.
    While the technical articles I could see being repeated, there does need to be something added to make it worthwhile for people to buy.

6. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    It's kind of like when I get a phone book left at my doorstop. "Oh look honey, someone printed the internet for us!"

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    LOL. Those goes straight to the recycling bin. I wish there was a way to opt out of getting them. Would save them a lot of money because I'm sure there are a lot of people that do the same thing as me.