1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Ready to pull the trigger on my first RO/DI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Easy E, May 22, 2018.

1. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My boss (wife) has finally given me the OK to buy a RO/DI system, providing I hook it up to a drinking water faucet and an ice maker. I've been doing a lot of research, and I think I've decided on this one: REEF & HOME DRINKING RO+DI dual output REVERSE OSMOSIS PURE WATER FILTER SYSTEM | eBay

I've also decided to get this dual TDS meter for the inlet and outlet: DM-1 Inline Dual TDS Water Quality Monitor Meter Tester Reverse Osmosis RO water | eBay

Any feedback pro or con would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Ive never heard of this brand but most RO/DI units do the exact same thing in my opinion. You will love having an RO/DI filter in your house! I honestly don't think I could reef without one.
    I use a Bulk Reef Supply 5 stage system, bought it used and never had any issues. Also our source water is from a well so we have a water dispenser that we fill up from the RO/DI unit, we've been doing it for years now and the taste is much better than tap water and any filtered or spring water from the store.

Couple things I didn't know when I first hooked up my filter:

(1)Pack the DI resin pretty tight, this way there is less channeling and the resin lasts much longer for you.
    (2)Get the color changing resin, its only a few dollars more but could potentially save you more in the long run.
    (3)Put a date on each filter you put on, mainly the RO membrane. (I change my RO once a year as good practice)
    (4)make sure you have the recommended or higher pressure coming into your unit, My cousins house only gets 35psi and I run through a lot of DI Resin because of it. A booster pump, if necessary, will also save you money in the long run

$.02

Hope this helps!

3. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips Andrew.:)

I suspected they were all about the same, they all seem to use the same filters, but this one is so much cheaper than others with the same features I thought there might be a catch.

I too use well water and I'm sure it has a a ton of TDS. Until recently I only had fish and it didn't seem to affect them much, but those frags I got from you don't seem to be doing too well and I'm convinced it's mainly due to the water quality. There's evidence of lime. rust, sulfur, and who knows what else in there. We've had it tested and it's safe to drink, but that doesn't mean it's anywhere near pure. It's become obvious to me that a RO/DI is an absolute necessity If I'm going to move forward with my reefing.

This DI on this unit does have high quality color-changing resin according to the manufacturer, and they stress keeping it tightly packed. They also sell big bags of replacement resin pretty cheap. It also comes with a free pressure gauge so I will know if I need a booster pump. I believe it's installed after the first three filters to indicate when they need to be replaced. All in all, it appears to be a really good deal, so I think I'm going to go ahead and order it.