1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Spring Fest Raffle Item List!

Discussion in '2018' started by Bud, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Starting up a new thread here for just the raffle items!

When I create a reply for a donation from a vendor on the list, I'll link to their name to their item post in this thread :cool::D

PLEASE NOTE!!!

Due to the State of Iowa regulations related to Charitable Gambling (we have a license for these types of raffles), we cannot require anyone to be present to win. There are actually a lot of rules and regulations surrounding raffles, I've spent countless hours making sure that I understand them so that we operate these with full legality. So I'm not making up stupid rules out of the blue, I just have to make sure that the Club follows the stupid rules (some are really stupid) that the legislators make up.

This means, we will be taking down information (Name, Phone, Email, Address) for everyone who purchases raffle tickets so that we may contact you in case you win and you are not present.

I had to actually ask whether the following was "acceptable" since those stupid rules I refer to are actually extremely vague with respect to the next part!

You must either:

A) Collect your prize at the show
    B) Designate someone to collect your prize on your behalf (a heads up would be appreciated when this is the case!)
    C) Arrange for pickup or delivery of your prize within 1 week of notification (you pay for any expense - the club will not absorb shipping cost, etc)
    D) You may forfeit your prize at any time (even before the drawing I suppose)

RAFFLE TICKET PRICES:

$20 per sheet of 25 tickets

** TICKETS ARE ONLY AVAILABLE FOR SALE AT THE EVENT! **

Note: Due to the Charitable Gambling regulations which require that all tickets are purchased at equal value, we cannot discount multiple sheet purchases. For simplicity's sake, we are not selling partial sheets. #stupidrules :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

At all GIRS Fests, we sell raffle tickets in "sheet" form that are generally referred to as "Chinese raffle tickets". Each sheet has 25 tickets, plus a ticket stub that you keep (and an additional ticket that we keep when we give it to you).

Each raffle item has it's own ticket box, so you only have to drop in tickets for the items you want to win.

THE DRAWING: 2:30pm!!

All tickets will be drawn and the list of winners will be posted in one shot, rather than drawing out the whole process for an hour or more, like we have in the past.

The top prizes will still probably be drawn live and called out individually.

The drawing will take place no earlier than 2:30pm, but likely right at 2:30pm, so you will need to purchase and drop tickets by that time to ensure that you have a chance of winning!

I'll keep this 1st post updated with a short list of all the donors and items and then post the items donated by each vendor in separate posts in the thread below. I don't have pics for all of these, some are still en route/etc.

Raffle Items List

This list also includes "bag stuffer" donations. The first ~100 GIRS Members will get a bag filled with all kinds of goodies!!

Grand Prize provided by the Greater Iowa Reef Society
    - 75 Gallon Tank (undrilled) & Solid Wood Stand
    - This is a Marineland "Majesty" model
    - Synergy Reef Shadow Overflow
    - Trigger Systems CRY30S 30 gallon Acrylic Sump

GIRS - BRS Goodies!!
    Air Water Ice - Typhoon 5-stage Reefkeeper RODI
    Fiji Cube - 22g Rimless Tank
    MASNA - 2 Full Conference MACNA Passes
    LRS Foods - donation pending (10 bags of LRS Reef Frenzy, 4 bags of Fish Frenzy, 4 bags of Reef Frenzy Nano)
    Rod's Food - 5x Food Multi-Packs
    Spectrum Brands (Marineland/Tetra/Instant Ocean) - Bag stuffers & LED Light Fixture
    Dr. Tim's Aquatics - Supplements
    Marine Depot - Innovative Marine Racks
    Premium Aquatics - Goodie Bags and stuffers, Fragging Kit, Refractometer
    Bulk Reef Supply - 4 Stage 75 GPD Plus RODI System
    Shedd Aquarium - Certificate for free admission for 4
    Avast Marine Works - Gift Certificates
    Dave Roth - Frag
    Midwest Frags - $100 Frag Pack
    Coral Magazine - 2x 1-year subscriptions + bag stuffers
    Dirk Griffin - Polyp Labs products
    Ecological Labs - Multiple product packs
    Syngery Reef Systems - 4x Frag Rack & Cooler sets
    CaribSea - Coral Up & Coral Up B
    Hikari - Food Variety Pack & bag stuffers
    Mermaid's Cove - two $50 gift certificates!
    Matt Van Sloten - 12+ Frag Pack!

Marco rocks - (deferred to Fall Fest)
    Boyd / Chemipure - (deferred to Fall Fest)
    Central Aquatics - (deferred to Fall Fest)

Note: Depending on the final donation tally, some items may be held over for contests throughout the year or for Fall Fest. The vast majority of items in this list will be raffled off Sunday at Spring Fest!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0

IMG_6329.JPG

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
  5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0

IMG_6331.JPG

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
  7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0

IMG_6332.JPG

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
  9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Home | Shedd Aquarium

We received a certificate for free admission to Shedd Aquarium. The winner can present the certificate at the will-call booth and receive 4 Shedd admission tickets. Value: $39.95 per ticket. Admission includes priority entry to the aquarium, all permanent and special exhibits, animal presentations (based on availability) and Stingray Touch (seasonal). Add a 4-D Experience for only $4.95 per person.

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0

Raffle-flye5r-tiny.gif

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
  12. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Looking good!

13. Excited about all of this!

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I had a question about the raffle ticket prices, that's one of those things I always forget about posting - it's new to some people!

Updated the first post.

I also updated the 1st post with some more information about #stupidrules :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: which is related to the State of Iowa regulations that tell us how we can't do things this way, must do things that way, and are extremely vague in other ways so that we have to ask them if what we are planning is OK (literally, I had to ask them today how to handle unclaimed prizes as this was super vague). If anyone wants to have an in-depth discussion with me about #stupidrules I could talk your ear off about how pretty much everyone doing any kind of raffle anywhere is probably breaking the law technically, even if they try to follow it. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent trying to understand the rules and asking questions...you would think that legislators could write something that could only be interpreted one way, but I guarantee you in this case...they struggle. But it's getting better. That means more stupid.

So if anyone wonders "why all the nuances?" that's totally not us. That's the law, we're just trying to follow it. Or rather, I'm insisting that we follow it. #budisnofun

15. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  16. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Been a long time ago (40+ yrs) that I went through this BS. Being dumb college students we were forgiven and told to check next time we wanted to do a charity/non-profit thing. No internet in those days so things have changed. Now, good luck being unaware of the law - and tax consequences.

17. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Yup! We (the club) even has to pay sales tax on the raffle ticket sales! Not a big deal, just one more thing to file every year

18. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    It's good to are you can joke aout all the stupid rules. That's totally ridiculous for a nonprofit to have to pay taxes on the donations! Idiots!

You know I will donate to the raffle if we are in need. I'e stayed that in the past hon. Same for any other Girs event. So if you need a donation, just let me know as I can always do something quickly even if it' a gift certificate /corals from TNT. If not needed hon, I'll do FallFest, Xmas party or whatever.

19. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Damn autocorrect. Fumble through it like the stupid rules. Lol:roflmao:

20. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0

IMG_6344.JPG