1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? QT with ich and rising ammonia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Dec 13, 2019.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    One of the fish in my QT tank has got ich. I'm dosing Copper Power, but haven't got it to therapeutic level yet. Anyone know if I can dose Brightwell Microbacter7 at the same time? My ammonia is at .25 - so my biological filter is not strong enough yet. I know that I can dose Prime, but then I think the ammonia test doesn't work and I won't know what its at. I did a water change of @30% yesterday. Suggestions?????

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    lots of air flow, sponge filter, water changes, prime.

3. +1 to prime, I’d also use some Bio-Spira or alternative bacteria in a bottle.

4. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    The fish with ich didn't make it. So now, the focus is on keeping the other fish from getting ich. Did another 30% water change today, and still the ammonia level is .25 I dosed Prime yesterday, so hopefully the ammonia component that is toxic has been neutralized with the Prime.

I'm going to get some Bio Spira tomorrow and see if that can get the ammonia down to -0.