1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? QT Diamond Goby

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StormyMoe, Nov 23, 2016.

1. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking about getting a diamond goby for my tank and was wondering if anyone has had success QTing one given they need some sand. I QT'd my melanarus wrasse for a couple of days before putting him in the DT, and I had a container of sand in there but I never once saw him in there (he looked stressed out to me so I didn't keep him in there more than that). Put the sand in the container in case I needed to dose anything I could remove it. Current fish are 2 clowns and the melanarus if it matters, just trying to do right by all inhabitants.

Additionally, anyone have any good or bad things to say about a diamond goby?

Thanks!

2. amcvay1979

Eastern IA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    hardcore QT enthusiasts would tell you that a few days of QT is worthless and it needs to be weeks...but that doesn't work for 100% of all tank inhabitants. If you are serious about QT the goby will be fine with some PVC pipes of various sizes for weeks until it can be moved to the DT. Adding sand isn't the best idea unless it's fresh, dry, never used before sand, in a container like you did with your wrasse.

3. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious also. I have a pair that has been in quarantine for 3 1/2 weeks. The tank is glass bottom but it has several PVC fittings and a couple live rocks. They are shy, but otherwise seem to be doing well. Fins look good and they eat both frozen and pellet food eagerly.

4. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the few days in QT for the wrasse were worthless for sure @amcvay1979@amcvay1979; had good intentions that I just didn't follow through on trying to think of the well being of the fish (i.e. I panicked). My QT does have a couple pieces of 2" PVC for it to hide in potentially. It's encouraging to hear yours are doing well in QT @danmgray@danmgray! I currently have some egg crate on the bottom of my QT but I could easily remove it if anyone thinks it could be an issue.

5. B_Braz

B_Braz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    I absolutely loved my Diamond Goby! By far has been my favorite fish. They do move a lot of sand so be prepared for that. Make sure you won't have a rock slide if he digs to much. Mine always kept me on my toes haha. But loved how my tank had a different look every day. He was friendly as well. Unfortunately I had a bad tank crash from being out of town for over 3 weeks and the person looking after my tank had no idea what they were doing.

6. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    That's too bad about the tank crash @B_Braz@B_Braz. I like the idea of a different sand bed everyday :) My clowns already have me on my toes, they've made a little fort in the back of the tank under a little ledge of rock. Hoping to get an anemone someday to host them in hopes that'll make them more comfortable.

7. B_Braz

B_Braz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    I have a guy in the Des Moines area that has an *** ton of RBT Anemones and he is just giving them away. His tank has become over run with them haha.

Sent from my iPhone via App

8. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I lost one of the diamond gobies last night. I fed once or twice daily, but I don't think it was enough to keep it nourished. Both of the gobies ate quite a bit each day, but they still got thin. I'm going to try to get a container of sand for the other one tonight if he's still doing OK. I hope it's not too late. And it may have been something else too...just wish I didn't have to learn these things at the goby's expense :(

9. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear that @danmgray@danmgray, hopefully the other one pulls through. Out of curiosity, what were you feeding? I was at the LFS today (shipment day) hoping they had a diamond come in but no luck. Brought home a spotted hawkfish instead that had been there for a few weeks and have him in QT.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  10. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I alternated between Marine Cuisine (frozen mysis, brine, krill, etc) and Spectrum Thera + pellets. Both foods accepted eagerly.

11. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I don't normally check ammonia or nitrite except when I cycle a new tank. I don't have an ammonia test kit at the moment but I did check nitrite tonight and I discovered that nitrite was detectable--too high. I was surprised because I have been doing 30% water changes every other day. In the future I will pay closer attention to the water quality of my quarantine tank. As for tonight, I siphoned the junk off the bottom of the tank, did a 50% water change, and added conditioner for saltwater that claims to remove nitrite and ammonia. I hope this is enough to turn things around.

12. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    There is nothing wrong with running a qt tank w/ sand. I qt six weeks in a tank w/ sand because I like the harder stuff. Leopard wrasse, diamond goby, blue spotted jaw fish. any of these 3 fail w/o sand and the sand is good Bio media. you can't copper without having to trash the sand when done but you can tank transfer if needed w/ sand.

Some of the 'hardest' fish to qt become easy given the correct conditions. any book/source that tells you a qt tank can't have sand is a resource to move on from. Just consider that after a failed quarantine run you have to dry the sand and start over

13. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I came across this article when I was panicking over a small nitrite spike in my DT showing toxic levels for marine fish and toxic levels of nitrites for marine fish are really quite high, though as the article suggests a presence of nitrite may mean there is ammonia as well. Hopefully the other goby is doing well and turning around after the work you did last night.

@abower@abower based on the reading I had done about sand in QT and treating with something like copper was that the sand would absorb the copper and therefore the full dose would not make it to the fish. When you have sand present in your QT and dose copper do you add extra copper? Maybe I had read some outdated articles, do you have links to any recommended reading?

14. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I agree completely. To minimize the possibility of introducing ich in any of my tanks, I quarantine everything...corals, inverts, fish, anything wet. In the past, I have had very good luck with hyposalinity treatment of fish in a bare bottom QT, so that is what I am doing now. I know that that some fish have special requirements and I'm learning the hard way that I need to do a better job considering their needs for a prolonged QT treatment. Hindsight tells me that in this case, I should have planned well in advance to have an ample amount of healthy sand available and done the tank transfer method, at least with the diamond gobies.

It's interesting that I read that very article just before I went to bed last night. I didn't realize that saltwater fish were more tolerant to nitrite than freshwater fish. I only had an API test kit, and the best I could tell was that nitrite was about 5 ppm. At this level, the fish in QT should have maybe been more tolerant, but I was doing hyposalinity (SG 1.008). With the lower SG, the Nitrite would be much more potent. I had several other fish in the same QT and they were all doing well until last night. One of them, a royal gramma, was listless and this ultimately helped me realize that I had other problems.

This morning, nitrite was down to around 1 ppm and the fish seemed to be doing better...well, I couldn't tell on the royal gramma because it is slow to wake up and I kept the lights dim.

15. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
  16. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    It gave up the fight 2 days ago. The royal gramma is still hanging in there but just barely. The other fish (2 tiny clowns and a small six line) are doing well.

Sent from my SM-G930V via App

17. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    We have added one, no QT process but it looked very healthy in the store. We watched it constantly for a good 3 minutes. The first time we tried to add a pair of diamond goby it didn't go so well and I think it was because the sand bed was too new. Now we seem to be doing much better and will keep an eye out for a smaller one so that they will pair up.

Just remember to not put any corals on the sand bed as they will be covered up and destroyed....or you'll be constantly fighting your goby over them.