1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Purigen Regeneration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cameron, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Hello all -- After reading the instruction on the Seachem site regarding regenerating purigen, I was wondering if its necessary to use Prime or can I just use RO water.

On another note, came back from 10 days of vacation and found that my auto-feeder dumped all the food into my tank (about 30 days worth). The outcome was that the bubble algae, which I had almost gotten rid of exploded in fecundity. As most of my rocks are coral free, my go to solution is to pull the rock and blast it with my garden hose, but as I'm doing this I think I see bristleworm (sigh). Well, I guess this is a good "opportunity" to use my new bottle of Bayer Insecticide, which as I'm looking up on the interwebs on how to use, realise that the funny tube on my button coral isn't a new node, but a vermintude snail... never a boring moment with saltwater aquariums : )

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  3. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
  4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Bristleworms are scavengers, they rarely cause problems. I'm sure I have hundreds!

Does this work on bristleworms? I think this is just for dipping corals, not entire rocks or tank-wide treatment. That would reset your entire biological system. Hosing off the rocks will only partially mess up the biological cycle, the deep pores of the rock will maintain bacteria so your tank can recover from that a bit faster.

I hate those things....

5. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Dang confirmation bias, went onto the interwebs assuming that bristleworms were pests and sure enough that's what I confirmed. Thanks for correction.

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I see that a lot myself. People get bristleworms confused or lumped in with things that look very similar but are more dangerous like fire worms, or more pest-like such as a euchnid worm. Bristleworms suck to grab on to because of their hairs/bristles which are fun to deal with, but in-tank they are usuallly not a negative