1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Power Outage Tripped Breaker

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jojo, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Jojo

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    Good evening. I've been into saltwater for 12 yrs or so and recently got into sps. Was out of town for 48hrs and during that time a storm tripped breaker. Long story short tank dropped 12 degrees. Lost quite a few expensive sps. Lesson learned. Getting a camera to watch over tank.

2. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    That is too bad!! I know one day this week our power went out and I woke up to hear silence of the house and a draining tank. It is always scary when that happens. Fortunately the power came on again quickly so no damage done.

3. Jojo

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    It sure is scary. It could have been much worse. I will definitely take more precautions going forward. Cheers

4. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Oh that's too bad. What are you getting for a camera?

5. Jojo

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    Not sure yet. Need to go to Bestbuy. I'm also thinking about dropping my temp from 82 to 79. What do you run yours at?

6. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Mine is 77° to 79°

7. Jojo

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    Thanks!

8. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I had a similar experience occur several years back. I was a out of town, a power outage occurred, I had a temporarily tank set up with too small of a sump (which then overflowed a bit), water made its way along the floor to a surge protector, when the power flipped back on the breaker tripped. If I recall, the power on the tanks had only been off for about 12-18 hours. I didn't have any coral losses, but I lost several fish. My thought was the oxygen drop was more devastating than the temperature drop (from 77ish down to 72ish).

9. Jojo

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    Sorry to hear that. That is a good point about the oxygen loss.