1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Photo Of The Month (POTM) Contests!!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Greater Iowa Reef Society, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Greater Iowa Reef Society Become a GIRS Member! GIRS Member

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +154 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone!

We've installed a new addon for Photo Of The Month (POTM) Contests! It utilizes the Media Center and automates the process. This is a new thing so there might be a few quirks and kinks to work out, so bear with us!! One kink is that the system (addon) calls it the "Media Of The Month", which is something I have to track down and tweak (like the link MOTM on the Nav Bar).

We're going to choose a category for each monthly contest, along with a prize for the winner!

The Photo Contests are open to GIRS Members. The system automatically creates a new Album in the Media Center for each contest where you can submit your pics.

Here are the Photo Of The Month Contest Guidelines:
    • You must be a paid GIRS Member to submit an entry (this is automated)
    • Only one picture per member can be submitted for each contest (this is automated)
    • Your picture entry must be one that you have taken (this is on the honor system)
    • Winners will not be eligible to compete for the next 3 subsequent contests

The contests will start on the 1st of every month and the submission period will typically run for 14 days. After the submission period closes, there will be a voting period of typically 7 days. Right now the plan is to vary who gets to vote with each contest (such as the BoD, a voting panel, or the full GIRS Membership, etc).

We wanted to get this going right away so the first contest will start TOMORROW 2/15! When you see the thread in this sub-forum (Photos), that's when you can start submitting entries. You must submit your photo to the dedicated Album that is created for the contest - pics posted in the discussion thread will not become entries!

This first contest will run for 7 days, followed by a 3 day voting period. This first time, the Board of Directors will vote for their favorite photos, and everyone will be able to vote for their favorite 3 pics.

The winner will receive a prize that is currently TBD, but will have a retail value of approximately $50. The winner will also get a POTM banner over the corner of their avatar!

The category of the February contest is:

ZOAS & PALYS!

Get your cameras ready!!

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Sorry folks I totally hosed up one setting and had to set up the contest again, there was an option to have everything in one thread vs everything in separate thread, I chose the latter and then realized that meant every action would create a new thread

When I changed that setting is actually started a new contest and I'm not sure if that meant the first one is still running or not, so I hope I didn't totally fubar it all

I deleted the original contest album and the entry by @cameron lake@cameron lake so please re-submit your entry again @cameron lake@cameron lake once the contest is set up again!!

Serves me right, it's totally my bad!!

3. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0

FB_IMG_1455977172991-01.jpeg

Should have taken with only blues on dangit that sucks next time when people submit a photo remember to take with mainly blues then saturate the photo

4. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Where are my dragon eyes @Armydog@Armydog lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Ninja'd Ninja'd x 1
    • List
  5. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Do you want a real pic or the cornbred special that I see getting voted on?

Cornbred special

20160225_141141-01.jpeg

Real pic zero edit no blue leds which I'll be Fragging this Saturday ;)

20160225_141141.jpg

6. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    The "likes" that the pics are getting on the photo album has absolutely nothing to do with that actual voting that is happening.

7. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    It says how many votes each pic has

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Where is that at? The voting shouldn't be public and I don't see it showing on my end.

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Donny you are confusing ratings (stars) and likes and votes. 3 different things. Votes for the contest are not visible (at least not to me)

10. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I was trying to figure out what the "rating" was and how it was determined. I knew it wasn't the number of votes, but could't see where it came from.

11. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0

Screenshot_2016-02-25-18-23-43.png

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Actually I found it, you click the individual pic and it show under Information

13. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Right now a board member is winning a board voting photo contest

14. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    i was wondering how the voting was gonna go and who was picked to vote

15. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    The board is picking the winner they are the voters and as of right now one of them are winning with 9 votes.

I should have thought of that when I did the photo contests I win them all

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    we are not all talking to each other and collaborating on who to vote for if that is what you are insinuating. I find that highly insulting and an attack on our integrity as a board. There has been zero discussion on whose pic has been good, bad, anything. It has purely been how the contest addon is operating (there were glitches) and hiw to actually vote. At one point we had a backup plan in case the addon didn't work right where we were posting our votes but that stopped. Beyond that it has purely been what 3 pics you think are the best and that does not include your own.

17. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    i was agreeing with @Armydog@Armydog in a humorous,giving **** kinda way.i ment no offence and i doubt he did either

18. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    It's laid out in the first post, but the plan is to change it up from month to month who gets to vote to determine the winner. It was easiest for the BOD to handle this month for a couple reasons. This month was a short run, and a feeling out of the new software. Still needs some work, but it's progress on a more "automated" contest.

19. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    From an outsider looking in just pointing out it looks shady is all. But hey pick w.e. winner you want. Maybe next time do what I did and have someone neutral pick the winner. Imo board members shouldn't be involved in the contests if they are the ones determining the winner. Thats my 2 cents have a great day

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I was not responding to your post, it's fine to ask how things are being done, there's nothing to hide!