1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Pavona Coral

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoodGreef, Jul 19, 2016.

1. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    The chunk where the blue arrow is shows the frag size when I got it. This pics from a couple months ago and it has spread out about another 2 inches in every direction. Is there a way I can encourage this to grow upwards into the cactus type shapes of pavona usually seen and slow its encrusting. I'd bet reducing light might help but that's not an option. I probably should have placed it lower in the tank so it would grow up rather than out and down, but now's too late. My other option is to start putting small rocks around it and start cutting off frags as it encrusts.

13102758_10100317724045601_828386888675784252_n.jpg

2. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Are you sure it is a pavona and not a psamocora? The growth structure seems to more resemble a psammocora than a pavona to me?

3. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

20160719_201138.jpg

Could be. It was sold to me as a pavona but I dont know. Here's a close up with the polyps retracted after I tapped it with some forceps. The pattern looks more pavona to me than the pics I see of psammocora. Uncertain. It's encrusting behavior would suggest psammocora though. Either way its growing like GSP haha.

Attached Files:

4. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    That does look like a pavona...
    The only way I've found to increase height, is to starve it a bit for light, then it will forcibly grow upward. Seen this with my lepto's and cyphastrea, though I think it's more of a survival thing, not necessarily "changing" it's growth structure.
    Beautiful specimen though! :)

You should get the club par meter to record what the par is on it right now.

5. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I measured the par with that before and it matches around what my Seneye par meter says now. It's around 400 par where the pavona is placed. I have to keep it that high because I have other high par SPS I need to get that light. I guess I could put some paper or something up to block a couple of the LEDs that focus on the pavona's area.

6. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I'll probably have some frags of this in about a month. I placed plugs I topped with epoxy putty for shaping all around the base of its growth. If it goes down unchecked its going to meet my spongodes and I don't know if that will be pretty.

7. I would agree with the group. It does look much more like a pavona than a psammacora. Having both I can put them side-by-side. I must have gotten lucky as mine grows both upward and outward. I will say though it did take time for the upwards 'spires' to take off. It happens to be placed under my glass support beam so it might indeed be getting that reduced light you are proposing. It is right near the top of the water column and light source though so pretty hard to tell how to make our parameters match.
    If you are ever in a position to want to trade frags let me know and maybe I can get you a piece of this one as it tends to be an upward grower.

Pavona 1.png

Pavona 2.png