1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Old tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Joe GIRS Member

Southeast Iowa
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I have a 150 gallon reef tank and it was in storage for several years. I was wondering if anyone know someone who knows how to reseal it and would it be safe the plastic rim on the top has a crack in two corners also. If I can get them repaired I would like to reuse it. Thanks for any information I can get.

2. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Rtv 108 is really good stuff to use. Just scrape out all the coners really well get everything off. Than tape, calk wipe coners than remove tap than let it cure than water test. If you need to tear the glass apart I can't help you their but I have read people use piano wire to separate the panels.
    As far as the cracks in the corners I have used Weld on 16 on an old tank that I used for a sump for many years without an issue. But I would just order a new top if your going to reseal the tank. Check your local fish store they should be able to get you one. Just a heads up they are pretty stuck on.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 via App

3. Joe GIRS Member

Southeast Iowa
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info Adam.

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    The plastic rim crack - you want to replace that. You'll probably break both the top & bottom getting them off. I know you can order replacement trim parts somewhere, not sure where off the top of my head but I'm sure Google knows :)