1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Ohh nitrates...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dead fish, Nov 20, 2012.

1. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So I had the tank on autopilot for a few weeks as I took care of some other stuff. I come back to find that my nitrates are CRAZZZZEEEE. I'm pretty sure there are two dead fish in there somewhere. That can't help. A 6 line that killed a prettier fish, so good ridddace and my fire fish is MIA.

Nitrates, I never knew the reading could get so high and red.

Pray for me.

2. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would double, triple check your test. I had a lfs store do a water test for me and my trates came back so high it made me wonder how anything was alive. I cam home and did the same test with much different results. Come to find out the guy used a dirty test tube.

3. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I've tested it about a half dozen times. At the lfs it was at like 80 twice. Back here it was alright the first two times I tested but then I shook the second bottle a ton and tested and it was as high as the lfs test. Totally confused. But I'm doing a30 gallon water change and we'll see.

4. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    Ive had them that high sucks. Water change big time and make sure skimmer is working.

5. Water changes are never fun /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/sad.gif But boy do they help!

6. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    So your test showed up differently after you shook the second bottle?!?

*** This should be a note for everyone that uses the API Nitrate test kit. You've got to shake the second reagent bottle thoroughly for 30 seconds or so. Otherwise your not getting an accurate test.

7. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you have any filter socks or pre-filter sponges, make sure to clean them well too. I've noticed a drop after cleaning mine when they were very dirty.......if you have any scavengers, they will quickly devour the fish carcasses (bristle worms, hermit crabs, starfish, some snails), doesn't take them long at all, so I wouldn't worry too much, especially since the fish were pretty small.

8. gearhead

gearhead Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use vodka, and then install the to fish reactor, I use that doctor Tim's NPX balls works great, I've been running it for about 2 months my nitrate 0 :)

9. gearhead

gearhead Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

also did water change once a week

10. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Chemi pure works great too along with water one large water change. Then follow up with small ones.

11. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Can't do vodka, but I may get a couple bags of Chemi-pure.

12. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

SERIOUSLY! This is imparative advice!

Water changes are totally fun! lol

13. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

So fun! I did 2 today just because..../DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

14. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Weel, I've got 1 30 gallon change down...no effect on the nitrates after 24 hours. I'll do another tomorrow. I also got a couple bags of Chemi-pure today. We'll see if that helps.

15. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no change? have you tested your source water? your not using water from petland are you? I don't think anybody has taken care of that reservoir or ro system since I left. Elliot?

16. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not surprised there was no change honestly. You have around 200gals total water correct? I would say if your test are coming back that high you are looking at a 25-30 Water change before you see some results.

17. gearhead

gearhead Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    there is some product called phosphate lock and nitrate lock you could try, also like I said before I bought a 2 fish reactor I think It made quite a difference,,, not throw salt in the wound but just remember water changes don't fix the problem they just delude it , I know from experience went through 200 gallons worth the salt in 1 month on my 75 , I did water changes every other day ,
    about 15 gallons always seem to delude and make it good but by the next day fruit punch red , I installed the reactor, and fossil lock , about a week later 0 nitrates , I wouldn't call it magic but it did the trick for me

18. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I haven't wanted to try artifcially bringing them down. I'll do another change tomorrow and see where I get. This is RO made here at home. Not panicking and hoping these few measures will start to show results. I'll get it there.

19. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am surprised your not seeing a difference. If your nitrates are at 80ppm, and you did a 30 gallon water change on a 200 gallon system then you should see a reduction of close to 10ppm. Unless your test kit is not that sensitive? What is your dkh btw? Are you using a buffer or a two part liquid dosing system? Low buffering capacity can cause violent nightly swings in pH and kill off huge swaths of bacterial colonies leading to sudden and intense nitrate buildup (not to mention stress on fish).

20. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'd have to say that the nitrates were reading between 80 and 160. I'll have to test my dkh, but it was within range when Elliot tested it on Monday. My PH was reading about 8 on Tuesday. I buffer about once a week with a Kent product. Kind of stymied at the cause of this, but if I was not testing properly there's no way can say if the problem has been building for a while or not with any surety.

I will say that API needs to provide more detailed instructions on their nitrate test kit. I just triple checked and there are no instructions anywhere that say to shake bottle 2 at all, let alone vigorously, for any length of time.