1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

North Iowa Region

Discussion in 'Other Areas' started by Hunter, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Can we start up a North Iowa region? All of the other regions are so far away from us all the way up here

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Sure. It just takes someone to organize the area and get a group together and meeting consistently. Guidelines for starting a region are in the club by-laws.
    Burlington area came together and organized and obtained regional status just a few years ago by doing this.

3. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    @Hunter@Hunter Thank you for stepping up and getting a group together. How many people do u have in your neck of the woods?

4. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Are you north east, central or west and what area do you see your region encompassing? Just curious as my daughter is in Sioux City.

5. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I am located near Mason City, so it's Central. I have one buddy up here that has a beautiful tank.

Otherwise I've only seen a couple posts from people in the area on the buy and sell forum.

6. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, there are very few of us up this way. Less the farther north you go.

7. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    If u guys ever make it over to fort dodge look me up.
    My tank seems to need trimming about every 3-4 months.

Sent from my iPhone via App

8. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm right in between the Waterloo and the Mason City area.

9. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Have any pics? I'm working in humbolt lately which sucks, but that's not very far from you.

That's awesome, we might be able to get a group going up this way just yet!

10. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone via App

11. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    It would be nice to have a North or North Central Iowa region. I'm in Sioux City and it would be nice to have another option. I like the Des Moines region but I've never actually gone to any meetings or events (not counting fests) since it's several hours drive one way.

12. scuba crazy

scuba crazy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This whole idea of a Northern Iowa region forming sounds great to me! I'm in NW IA-Estherville. Reef keeping is my second job/passion in life-some 40 yrs. Am managing a 300 gal Oceanic mixed reef and a 125 gal. macro algae/ fish tank--out here in "the sticks" of NW IA there are very few marine aquarists--and yes--all meetings/ events/ Spring Fest are 150 to 200 miles away. Impossible travel time for me. I'll watch this thread to see what happens with this idea....

13. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the process of moving houses. More or less I'm living the with in laws here at the end of the month for a month until my house deal is done.

I will pursue this and start up a northern iowa group after I get settled in.

14. Count me in, Clear Lake area here

Sent from my iPad via App

15. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Rico is going to be running this thing! I'll assist him the best I can

16. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Great to see some interest in getting another group together and active.
    Here is the link to the GIRS bylaws GIRS By-Laws | Greater Iowa Reef Society. Article VII outlines the process for forming new regions.

17. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I haven't seen 10 active members on this site from a single region yet.

I don't agree with these requirements, yet they are set, so whatever.....

18. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I will give you that some regions don't have much activity, but there still are plenty of active members in all the regions. A lot of the locals that come to the events and the meetings post very little on the forum, so I imagine you might not see it without attending these events.

I think you're confused about what is constituted as a region in this club. These are more than just sub forums on the site. The regions have voting members on the club BOD, a yearly budget, and club owned equipment for the members to use.
    Now any paid member of GIRS can attend any regional event even if it's not in their immediate area. We have also shipped out club equipment for members to borrow when they aren't local to any of the regions. So everything is available to all paid members of the club, whether they are near a "region" or not.

If you're just wanting a sub forum to communicate with others in the area that can certainly be considered, but the demand for it still has to be there. And even then I think 10 people wanting it and using it would be a pretty minimal and reasonable requirement for that.

19. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Drop Chlora a line she is the assistant trustee of the Burlington Region and she set up the Burlington region several years ago she did alot of work setting it up but did a great job,, I am sure she would give you some ideas on how to start up,,

20. david d

david d New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would love a group within a 90 mile drive. I am also in Estherville and know of 3 in this community that would be interested.