1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? No room for frags

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Fence13, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Shortly, I'm going to have to dive into my SPS tank and start cutting back. There is a bit of green slimer that will be coming out and I'm sure some Birds of Paradise that'll get broken off in the process. I'm sure there will be some bits and pieces of other stuff.

Problem is:
    I don't really have a frag tank setup and I don't really have room in the display tanks to house the frags. Posted this in the DSM thread because it benefits the locals more than anyone else.

Any suggestions for what I can do? Anyone know of anyone who acts like a wholesaler for frags?

2. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Any room to put up a small frag rack in the display or sump? They can be made pretty easily out of egg crate.

3. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Magnetic frag racks are pretty much out of the way. That's if you want to go through selling them individually or just getting rid of them in a lot. If you do wholesale sale, you won't get much per frag.

If you decide to frag that torch, I would be interested in a piece.

4. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    Give them to newbies!
    That's how I do it up north in dodge
    With the stipulation that they pay it forward in the future

Sent from my iPhone via App

5. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    I don't really want to/have room for a small frag rack in my SPS tank. I already have one in the back and it's full of goodies that aren't for sale.

The reason I mentioned whole sale was that I was looking to off load a bunch for cheap. But perhaps the idea of giving them away to newbies/people who want them that day isn't a bad idea.

6. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    You should drive to Davenport and drop them off at my house.:D

7. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    stop in iowa city on ur way to daventport I take some too lol

8. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    If you've got some scraps, I'm happy to take them off your hand! Literally every coral in my tank has been provided via GIRS members. One of my favorite talking points regarding my tank.

9. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    @jeremy@jeremy and @clown man@clown man you're more than welcome to come up to DSM for the weekend! I'll keep the DSM people posted on what I'm thinking. Part of me thinks it'll be Sunday but I'm not sure.

10. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Following thread to see what you end up doing @Fence13@Fence13. Sell/give I don't have any SPS yet but it seems like the slimer and bird of paradise may be good intros to them.

11. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Alright confirmed that I'm doing this tomorrow at 2pm. Anyone is more then welcome to show up. There are just some disclaimers for all of you happy campers so no one gets the wrong idea.

Disclaimers:
    1. The weather is supposed to be crap tomorrow so don't show up if the weather is bad, I don't want you to get in a wreck because these are nothing special!
    2. I do not have really any frag plugs, I do have some glue, but not that many (maybe 5?) plugs. BYOP - bring your own plug.
    3. I will basically give away more of what I frag but can't tell you how many frags I plan to have. If 20 people show up we may have issues :cool:
    4. Don't be allergic to dogs.....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  12. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Can I just say "Atta Boy" to @Fence13@Fence13 ! I think that is so cool that you are giving back to the hobby you love. It is neat to see you helping others out without looking to get anything in return! #faithinhumanity