1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

(No longer needed)Need bulkhead, located in Ankeny

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buku, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Cracked a bulkhead last night. Needing a 1" ABS thread x thread bulkhead. Anyone have an extra laying around?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  3. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    I don't, but here's a bump to keep this up top.

4. I believe I got one text me at 515-988-0007 and I can send you a pic of it Don’t know how to load it on here

5. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I have one I could have given to you when you were in cr Saturday.

6. ill take a look

7. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Haha I didnt plan on cracking bulkheads then. I just ordered more from BRS, be here tomorrow.

8. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I always keep some on hand just in case

Sent from my iPhone via App

9. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    I had a whole bag of them and end up cracking a bunch on my water tanks. I started using the soft sealer and it lets you crank the fittings in by hand most of the way, but if you go a lil too far it cracks the bulkhead.

Thinking I might go back to tape.

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I'm confused on how you cracked the bulkheads. So you had installed them and were tightening the nut (assuming the flange is inside the tank, nut on outside...) and then did you use TFE paste on the nut?

Or are you talking about the flat o-ring under the flange on the inside being a soft one vs hard rubber?

11. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Im used to the tape where you just crank it down until its really tight. The soft set sealer lets you crank it by hand pretty much the whole way. I set these up on the 300 and got them hand tight, but there were leaking a small amount and I just cranked on it a little bit and it ended up cracking the bottom of the bulkhead threads.

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    So, you're applying tape and/or TFE paste to the threads on the outside of the bulkhead? You shouldn't need any tape there. Just hand tighten and maybe 1/4 turn with a pipe wrench, if that.

If you're having issue with leaking around the bulkhead, that's the rubber gasket that's the culprit there. Bulkheads aren't designed to be cranked on.

If you really want good bulkheads for stuff like this though, you need Banjo bulkheads or something like it. You can get those at Tractor Supply in Ankeny or the place in Grimes that sells the poly tanks

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    What I mean is, if you just feel the need to crank on bulkheads...get the Banjo ones. The threads are much deeper and they are much more heavy duty. They are also double-gasketed, so there is a gasket on the flange side and one on the nut side.

Sprayer Specialties is the place in Grimes that I was thinking of. They're in that warehouse area right off 141 as you go to Grimes from 35/80 (across 141 from Toyota of DSM)

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Ok in re-reading this I think I confused myself. So you're tightening a fitting that is screwed into the threaded bulkhead and you went too tight and cracked it out, correct?

What I've read about this is that you are technically not supposed to use the TFE paste or teflon tape to allow you to screw a fitting in farther than you could without the tape. Which sounds kind of silly but that's what I've read...

Anyways the best advice I've had on this (and it's worked well for me) is to wrap the threaded fitting with only 2 wraps of Teflon tape, then apply a small amount of TFE paste on top of that, and screw that in until it gets to the same point as you could without the tape/paste, then 1/8-1/4 turn more and that's it.

It will feel like you are able to turn it several more turns. Don't though. Only if it leaks, and then be really careful to not over-tighten.

15. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Ohhh I didnt even think of using both. I ended up using tape of the water tank because no matter how much paste i put on and got it as tight as I could get it, it would still leak. These I got hand tight on the 300 and they were still leaking. I went another 1/2 turn and ended up cracking the bulkhead. I have new ones coming tomorrow. Ill try the tape and paste this time.

Thanks!

16. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    What size is the pipe? If I recall there's a certain size pipe at which it's recommended to use paste instead of tape. Pretty sure that's why I ended up using paste on my 1.5" plumbing for my Reeflo skimmer pump.