1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Niger trigger reef safe or not

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by avratney, Dec 2, 2016.

1. avratney

Aurora
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    What are the thoughts about a Niger Triggerfish being reef safe

2. Crosshatch

Logan iowa
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Very hit or miss. May snack on clean up crew and may bully some tank mates. I have had 2 over the years in different reefs and neither bothered coral. Key is to get them small and one of the last fish to add.

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I think the biggest danger is your clean up crew. Snails and crabs are on their menu usually. When mine got bigger it also started going after my small wrasses and clowns. When I started seeing those guys without tails, or chunks missing the trigger got traded off.
    Triggers are awesome, and if I ever do a second tank where I can put my smaller fish I would definitely get another trigger or two.

4. Crosshatch

Logan iowa
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I also forgot to add mine never bothered my clean up crew. They were extremely well fed also left tank mates alone for the most part. I have tried many triggers over the years only one I could not make work out was a Clown Trigger. He was good for 1.5 years then started killing tank mates. He started eating clean up crew as well and was extremely fat and well fed. Triggers I have tried Bluethroats, Pinktail, Nigers, and currently have a pair of Crosshatch Triggers. Did not have problems with any except the Clown. I know I was going to fail but had to try!

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    You take the chance at almost any fish you add to the tank could start making a snack out of your reef. I think someone on the CR tank tour said they had a hippo tang that munched on SPS corals. Some fish will just do it. As mentioned keeping them well fed should help keep them away from other tank inhabitants, but that's never a guarantee.
    What other fish do you have in the tank?

6. Crosshatch

Logan iowa
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I had an Eppaulette Tang that ate Lps.I had A Blue Hippo that killed wrasses. So great point you never know what's going to happen until it happens.

7. avratney

Aurora
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Right now I have a yellow tang, coral beauty, snowflake eel, marron clown fish and a blue velvet damsel the are in a 110 tall plenty of rock work I've been focusing on coral but I had a weird cycle that's no back to normal but lost most coral and while I will continue with coral am more into fish at the moment

8. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I remember a Niger Trigger at petco of all places. Amazing looking specimen, and pretty large. When I walked by the tank he charged the glass and kept trying to bite me! I like ornery animals and I would have bought him if I had a tank his size, but pretty sure he would have killed everything! I was so surprised that I left and came back and sure enough he would hit that glass and furiously bite at anything that passed by. I have never seen a more aggressive fish. My nile puffer will get excited for food like that, but this guy just seemed to want to attack any movement at all.

9. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I had one in a reef about 10 years ago and had a similar experience (albeit not quite so violent) as Hart described. The trigger would rush my hand every time I put it in the tank to clean glass or whatever. I slopped more saltwater yanking my hand out of the water then I have since. While he never actually bit me I got rid of him because of the anxiety he created - it wasn't relaxing at all with him in the tank!

10. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Mine started biting at my fingers, but I know I created that problem on my own. I sometimes hand feed the fish, including the trigger, so i'm sure he associated my hands with food after awhile.