1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Newby

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Skotsreef, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Skotsreef New User

Eagle Grove
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello GIRS! My name is Scott and I am from Eagle Grove. 18 years ago I started my first marine aquarium. At only 13 years old, I had no experience, no money, and a general lack of information to get my 55 gallon tank going. This experience was a total failure for me to say the least. After nearly 20 years, I am giving it another go, only on a much smaller level... I recently purchased a fluval evo 5 nano reef tank. After setting up with live rock and live sand, the tank seems to be nearly through its initial cycle after only a couple of weeks. To my understanding, nano reefing is extremely difficult, but I am determined to be successful this time around and eventually scale up and perfect larger tanks. I'm sure I will need some help along the way, and I look forward to to getting some expert advice from fellow Iowans. Ive spent many nights reading articles on the internet and after looking through your forums, I feel this is the right place for me to be. I am very open to criticism and would appreciate any advice you all could give me. Maybe some day I will be able to pass some knowledge along to some else... tanks y'all

2. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Welcome to the forum! lots of good and knowledgeable people in the group.

3. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Welcome to the community! There are incredible resources and knowledge here - never be afraid to ask a question, regardless of how 'simple' you think it might be.

4. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Welcome! What are the plans for the tank in terms of fish/corals? Any other details about your system in terms of lighting/flow/source water/etc?

5. Skotsreef New User

Eagle Grove
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you. Yes, and it's a pretty basic setup so far.. 10 watt 11000k led lighting, 80 gal hour pump. 50 watt heater, I'd like to run without a skimmer but have read mixed reviews on that subject, open to suggestions. Instant ocean reef Crystal's with RODI water. Currently have about 7-8 lbs live sand, 5.5 lbs live rock, a few Bristle worms and aiptasia lol. Next week I plan on finding a sexy shrimp and a few nassarious snails for starters. I will likely only get one ocellaris clown fish or a tail spot blenny as it is such a small system. Would like to start out with some mushrooms and polyps to get myself in to corals, I've been doing a lot of research and still trying to learn what would be best for my tiny eco system... deffinately going for hardy, easy to care for corals...I'm open for any suggestions you guys could give me.. I have no friends that are in this hobby, so I look forward to getting to know some of you and getting your input.

6. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I'm not an expert in smaller tanks (the majority of my 10 years in the hobby I've had a 180g or a 400g display). I did run a 28g bio cube with seahorses for a couple years as a side tank though. That being said, I would recommend using a skimmer.. it just makes your maintenance needs a little lighter and also helps with oxygenation (since you likely won't want to add a bulky powerhead to such a small tank this is of value). I wouldn't consider running my 400g without one and I even have the luxury of having a 40g refugium growing large amounts of macroalgae for nutrient control.

On such a small tank you can routinely do meaningful water changes... your entire water volume is a single bucket. If you plan on performing such water changes it cuts out the need for dosing but also means you need to be careful with your salinity and temperatures during such changes. Also, if you go this route I'd consider using regular instant ocean instead of reef crystals. Reef Crystals has really high alk/ca which I'd try to avoid for significant water changes.

Sounds like you have a good plan in terms in livestock. The light isn't likely powerful enough for much more than what you have listed. Also, while your system is still getting started, now would be an easy time to pull your rocks out to remove those aiptasia. You can just hold a lighter up to them and burn them off. No need to try any kind of chemical solutions (kalk paste) in such a small environment.

7. isufishtank

Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Welcome back to the hobby! I have a 20g and dont run a skimmer. Instead im setting up a refugium and use purigen in the filter to remove organic wastes. The live sand and rock will also help with filtration once everything is cycled properly and you have a good bacterial colony. Again that's just my own experience.

8. Skotsreef New User

Eagle Grove
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're exactly right about the power head, good point! I want try to keep this system as simple as possible but still maintain consistant parameters, so far I've been golden aside from a slightly low pH and dKH.. of course I suppose this will all change when I start adding livestock. I plan on doing 10% water changes (1/2 gallon lol) biweekly. Setting up a refugium is a great idea as well, yet for me it may take away some of the simplicity that I am aiming for. All good things to consider though

9. Skotsreef New User

Eagle Grove
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know exactly what this is?? So I ran out and got my first inverts last night, picked up a small peppermint shrimp, and a handful of various snails, they are doing great. I hadn't planned on getting any coral yet, and really was not aiming for zoanthids, but I figured if Petco was selling them for $15 and they didnt even know what they were, than they must not be expert level. So I impulsively bought one and put it in my tank. Obsidian zoas are the only thing on the internet that they look like, but I'm really terrible at identifying corals. Hopefully I didnt make a bad purchase..
    .. Any advice?

Attached Files:

10. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I think for $15 you got a nice sized group of cool looking zoas. Good luck with them. It looks like they are opening up for you which is always a good start.

zoa names are so ridiculous. I never did care about names, I just bought what looked cool, then more often than not they shriveled up and died on me so I gave up on them.