1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New to Iowa

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Nanoreefnoob, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Nanoreefnoob QC

Nanoreefnoob New User

QC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello All,

I am new here in Iowa, just made the move from Yuma AZ to Davenport IA. I first started in the reefing hobbie in 2011 with a small 14G biocube that I kept for two years. I had a few muchrooms, clown, watchman gobie and a coperbanded shrimp. Everything did really well and I enjoyed the tank very much. In Jan 2013 I was deployed and was forced to take down my tank. When I returned in 2014 I moved to the desert of Yuma and put together a ciclid tank. 72G drilled bow front. I will never do Fresh water again. Boring. There was really so little to do to the tank, my 8 year old took care of it most the time. Now that I have moved out here to davenport my wife was kind enough to find a LFS and suprise me with a visit on our first date night. let me just say I am thrilled to be out here. The staff at Aquatic Environments were so nice and the store look great, far beyond what I had seen in Yuma or South Caralina. With in a week I left the wife and kids at home (witch is never a good thing) and made the leap back into the saltwater life. As I am renting I am starting small with a 60G Rimless Cube, AI 25HD light mounted on the radion mount, Reef Octopuse 110 skimmer, and a eshops sump. I built the stand myself and boy i am loving this already. Hope to keep LPS and mabey a small few SPS and many smaller fish. Looking foward to this journy with yal and hope to make some friends.

PS Will help with tank chores if you are in the area, just love seeing tanks and the diffrent ways people set them up.

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Welcome to Iowa and to GIRS!

3. Nate58

Muscatine
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello and welcome

Sent from my SM-G930R4 via App

4. Nanoreefnoob QC

Nanoreefnoob New User

QC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Muscatine that is pretty close to me, I have to work out there quite offten.

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Welcome to iowa and glad you found GIRS. Davenport is really lucky in that they have a couple of very nice stores, and also a pretty good sized saltwater community. If you haven't already found it check out Coral Haven. They are a club sponsor and another awesome store in the area.

6. Nanoreefnoob QC

Nanoreefnoob New User

QC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Great thanks for that I will deffinitly going to be making a run over there tomorrow. (work has me tied up all night).

7. Nate58

Muscatine
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Let me know when you are in Muscatine

Sent from my SM-G930R4 via App

8. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Welcome. We should have another QC GIRS meeting coming up soon be sure to come check us out. We will post an event thread with details.
    Hopefully I get some time soon and you can swing by and check out my setups.

9. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    And definitely stop by Coral Haven for a look. Joe or Ian will take care of you.
    You already checked out Aquatic Enviorments, there is also Teske's in Moline, they have a selection of fish, and Water World Aquatics in Silvis.

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 1
    • List
  10. Nanoreefnoob QC

Nanoreefnoob New User

QC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I would love to, I enjoy seeing what others are doing in the hobbie. I have not really been in a city with a reef take comunity so I am excited to meat some people.

11. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, to the group and to Iowa, I'm from the Carolinas and just spent a year back there and i was very surprised by how little interest there is in saltwater tanks down there.