1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? New Setup Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mruck79, Feb 27, 2018.

1. mruck79

Urbana
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have recently started my first saltwater setup. I am not new to fish keeping, but I am new to saltwater. I have been researching and collecting supplies for about 8 years and I finally have made the jump. My tank has been set up for about 2 weeks at this point. So far everything seems to be going well. I have what appears to be a lot of diatom on the rock, circulation pumps, and sand. From what I understand this is a good sign. I had some in the water column, but I ran some poly filter to clean that out. My Ammonia and nitrite have not really spiked like I had expected, and I have just recently seen a nitrate jump. There are so many resources out there, but also so many that conflict that it is hard for someone with limited experience to know what is the best way. I don't really want to take to many risks with my first go round.
    Set up is as follows.
    Current Parameters -
    Ammonia - 0 PPM (Highest has been 2)
    Nitrite - 2 PPM
    Nitrate - 15-20 PPM This just recently jumped
    PH - 7.8 -8
    Temp 79.5
    65 gallon main tank
    20 gallon sump/refugium with about 12 gallons of water
    2-2 1/2 5 gallon pails of man made dry rock. - 1 - 3" piece of live rock
    2" of aragonite sand in main tank and 12x12 area of the sump
    4 - 800 GPH Circulation Powerheads
    500 GPH return pump
    DIY - PVC overflow - I built a 12" skimmer bar intake to skim the top of the water
    Wifi - LED Light it is an off brand - I figured it was OK to start with only fish and rock
    Questions:
    1. Is the diatom truly a good sign? What should I expect next?
    2. What should I plan for my next step after cycling? Clean up crew (what types)? Macro Algae?
    3. A fish store convinced me that I needed fish to cycle my tank. A decision I now wish I wouldn't have made. I have 3 striped damsels in it currently. They seem to be doing OK. I have a 10 gallon tank I could move them to with a powerhead, but it would not be an established tank either. I don't want to subject them to any additional stress. Not sure what the right route to go here is. My original plan was to just cycle with a dead shrimp or feed daily. It was yet another situation where someones confidence made me question what I had learned.
    I have a million more questions but these are the big ones right now. Thanks to anyone who can steer me in the right direction!

2. sjones

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    1. Do you have ro/di if not that might explain your diatom problem? I had that once when my di media gave up the fight. Replaced it and it disappeared as quickly as it came.
    2. Fish can tolerate higher nitrates than coral, I think those are not a big problem at 15 to 20, however you may regret having a trio of damsels later. The clean up crew won't have much to eat right now they mostly eat the algae's not too may like diatom's or cyno.
    3. I would have waited a couple more weeks to add fish to let the rock/sand finish cycling I wouldn't move them just do extra water changes things should work themselves out damsels are tough.

Check this www.liveaquaria.com/article/39/?aid=39 I agree there is a lot of opinions/information/misinformation out there and it's hard to separate fact and fiction. Just keep going you'll get there!

3. mruck79

Urbana
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice! I do not have ro/di. My initial fill was tap water that I left sit out with heaters and power heads to mix and evaporate chlorine. I am planning on just buying ro/di for any added water, as it will be a more manageable amount.
    Like I said I wasn't going to buy fish for a few months, but some people can be so convincing. He also said that the Damsels would be fine with other fish. I specifically asked that question, as I had read damsels can get territorial. "Oh, not this type, and you have to get three so they don't fight each other." My mistake I guess. I need make sure I research and stick by what I decide in the future. What do I do with them if they do cause issues in my tank, as far as getting along with future fish?
    As far as the clean up crew, or macro algae, I didn't mean now, I meant a month or so after my tank has finished cycling. Is that what you would go with next?
    Thanks again for your response!

4. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    If your tank had Ammonia readings at one point and has now gone down, while the nitrite and nitrates have gone up its looking like a good sign. I might suggest waiting until your nitrites get down to zero and you only have nitrates left. At this point I would do a water change and try to get my nitrates down, after that I would dose the tank with a ammonia source ( Dr Tims ammonia chloride is a good go to). If your tank can process the dosed ammonia into nitrates into a 24 hr period it would be a good bet that your tank has finished the cycle. Where did you pick your damsels up at?

5. mruck79

Urbana
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I had ammonia levels at around 2 PPM, but never higher, then the diatom showed up and then ammonia totally dropped out. I still feed, and I have the damsels so I would think it should still be producing ammonia. I might wait a bit and try the dosed ammonia route. Sounds like a good way to test the cycle. I bought the damsels at Pets Playhouse in Cedar Rapids.

6. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    What kind of damsels are they? If they are a green chromis they will school together ( they have been know to kill each other off until there is only one), they are also less aggressive then other damsels. Lots of people keep a school of green chromis in there reef tank.

7. mruck79

Urbana
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    They are 3 Striped damsels. Black and white. I don't know that I would be able to catch them if I wanted to! They each have pretty much found their own little cave in the rocks. They don't really school at all. 2 of them will hang out occasionally. They don't bother each other at all, but I imagine they might be a problem for future fish.

8. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    They tried selling me damsels when I was starting a new tank as well. He did tell me that I could take the fish back when I was done cycling the tank haha. Not sure you would get any money back, but if you could get them out (try a fish trap) maybe take them back to the store if you don't want them.

9. mruck79

Urbana
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I asked if I could take them back and he told me no. LOL. I'll see how they l do. I'm not planning on having a ton of fish, and I'm not terribly picky on what I have in there. I don't need the super high end fish to enjoy it.

10. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I think I would be finding somewhere else to do business. I believe you have a couple other options locally. I would check with them to see if they would take them. They may give you store credit instead of cash but still. If they don't and you are really wanting to return them somewhere, The Fish Shack in Manchester will take them and give you store credit. Bill, the owner, is good about that.

11. mruck79

Urbana
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think you are right. I was just in Manchester Saturday morning and I was going to stop, but I was running late to meet some people and didn't get the chance. I used to stop in there a lot years ago when I lived closer, but haven't been there in a long time. I don't remember much about the saltwater stuff he had. Maybe I'll take a trip this Saturday and check it out!

12. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Bill does his best to take care of you and I try to reward him for that. The only thing I will say though is if you get a coral of any kind, pay attention to what you are getting. His reef tanks aren't in as good of shape as I would like and have some unwanted hitch hikers. Quarantine would be highly recommended for anything purchased. I haven't had any trouble with fish though. Anything with rock attached though... make sure you look it over closely.

13. mruck79

Urbana
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info! I'm definitely a ways out from Coral, hope to get there at some point. How long do you quarantine fish? Do you just do a bare tank? Do you use water from your main tank or do you use newly mixed water?

14. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I like to quarantine for 3 weeks. You will get different numbers from different people. Basically the longer the better to a point. As far as the set up. You can go a couple of ways. Basics and constants though are bare bottom (no sand/crushed coral) and no live rock. I like to insert some PVC fittings (elbows, T's, etc) for the fish to use as cover and to give them something to relate to. For the variables... You can either set up it with the intent to have it up and running all the time or you can have one that you just set up when needed. If you have the space I prefer to just leave it up and running. Either way the set up is the same. On the quarantine tank I just use a hang on the back power filter such as https://www.walmart.com/ip/20-40-Ga...r-Water-Filter-For-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/10313137. I set up the QT with new salt water but I seed it with about a hand full of sand from the main tank and I will have put the sponge filter from the power filter into the sump/canister filter/or main tank itself a couple weeks in advance so that nitrifying bacteria will have populated on it. Then when everything is ready and you are filling your quarantine tank you can move the sponge back over to your power filter and you are good to go. Do this really cuts down on having to deal with much of a cycle but you should still test to make sure. If you leave it up constant then you will just want to have a fish as your quarantine resident to keep the nitrogen cycle moving. Pick a fish that gets along with everything. Banggai cardinal is a good example. If you take it down and set it up again you will have to go through the whole set up process again.

15. mruck79

Urbana
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This is my tank today.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935R4 via App

16. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I would Suspect that your diatoms def. came from using the tap water. Seeing as how you are still cycling the tank you could keep the lights off for a few days and that could help kill off some of the algae. If you end up needing some RODI I have a filter at my house and could get you a few gallons for water changes if you want.

17. mruck79

Urbana
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'll turn the light off for awhile. Some people say leave it on some say leave it off. I have it set up on a day night type cycle now. I've been looking into getting RO/DI unit. If I can't find any in the interim, I'll let you know. I don't like to put anyone out. Thanks again!

18. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Its not a big deal... Beats a trip to Cedar Rapids. Just Let me know in advance how much you need and Ill get some run through the filter. I Had Diatoms a the start of my pico tank and just went lights out for 3 days and saw a drastic die off of algae. What type of light are you using? Any Leds in the red light spectrum have been linked to causing algae to grow.

19. mruck79

Urbana
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Its one if found on craigslist. Not sure what it is exactly. It does have some reds in the spectrum. I have read a lot that a diatom bloom is fairly common in a new setup. After the initial bloom, it has calmed down quite a bit.

20. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yup its all part of the process.... But anything you can do to help reduce the growth in my opinion is worth it.