1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New BioCube Setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troy, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now this is my first time setting up a tank this small.  So still in the process of learning good and bad ways of doing things.    So any constructive comments are welcome.    I am starting and plan on taking my time to do it right, and hope I get some good feed back to help this along.  
    My plan as of now, which knowing me, will change a few times before I am finished. 
    29 BioCube don't plan on using the lid for it.   I want to run a 150w sunpod with a 20k MH. Still undecided on which bulb I should use.   Then first chamber will have a Phosban reactor with GFO and Carbon. Second chamber will have a 100 micron filter pad and live rock. Third will be the return pump.   Trying to keep it simple, would like to concentrate on water quality.  
    So here's where I am at right now.    Started building the rock wall.   I have been wanting to do one for a long time.  So this little tank will be a good learning curve.  
    Just a standard BioCube, that will be going throw a vinegar bath to be completely cleaned up.
    [​IMG]
    This is the first plan for the rockwall.  Not sure if I am going to keep this or not. I do plan on running the return ling down in the tank and then blowing upwards to get water moving around the bottom.  
    [​IMG]
    As I sat there looking at it.   This seemed kind of plain and wasn’t happy so I added a little more to the wall, and  am pretty pleased with how it turned out. Along with the return on the bottom, I plan on having a powerhead on one of the sides blowing at the bottom to keep anything from settling. I also make a little overlay kinda thing to try to hide the top drain slots. (Not sure if I like this idea yet)  I also cut out a small peice of the egg create for the lower drain.   I made the lower one smaller, cause I would like to have most of the water surface skimming into the filter section.
    [​IMG]
    Now I have to get the dry rock out and start placing them on the egg create.  I am thinking of taking that PVC return and foaming it into the rockwall so it can't be seen.   Not sure how that will work?

2. KirklinsClownfish Well-Known ReefKeeper

Robins Ia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hey Troy do you have a lid for this I have an extra hood/light for this 29 biocube.

3. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks but I do have a lid, I just don't plan on using it right now.

4. Tuckers2

Tuckers2 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I also have a 29g biocube so am very interested to see what you do with yours : ) keep the posts coming!

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those back areas are going to fill up fast...I would do your reactor external if you can..I assume it doesn't leak, right? Your ATO is going to have to go somewhere. Also, where will your heater go? In with the return pump? Your wall build is looking good!

--AJ

6. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heater will be with the return pump. Not sure about ATO, I need to research them a decide which will work the best. I do plan on running the phosban external. Tomorrow I plan on starting attaching rock to the egg create. Will post more pics when that is done.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Troy before you fill, i'd recommend cutting some of the teeth out of your overflow and also widen the area where chamber one dumps into chamber 2. This is what I regret not doing when i set my cube up way back when. Also remove the false bottom from chamber one and i'd run your heater in there. I dont think your waterlevel will be high enough to run it in chamber 3.

8. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jmadison. Could you explain why you recommend this is there a problem with the amount of flow going throw the overflow? I plan on using stock pump, and running slower flow throw the back. I was planning on cutting out the false bottom but wasn't sure if it was needed. Iwas thinking of running a skimmer in the first chamber, but now thinking about it that would restrict flow. So not a good idea. Where would/should the skimmer go?

9. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now I am working on placing rock on the egg create, but I have a
    question. Is there a good way of placing the rock. I have a few pieces
    on and not sure if it is looking good or not. Think there probably
    isn't a way to tell intil all done.
    I plan on posting some pics tonight after I am done working on it.   I just needed a break.   Also I don't want to test the foam yet. but its triple expanding foam.  I am wondering about how much it will expand past the egg create when put on.  
    Here is a few pics I took so far.  Still not done, and unsure if its going to stay that way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Troy

10. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Zip ties or epoxy are probably the best ways to attach it and the foam will also help snug them in tight. Some people drill the rocks so the sip ties are hidden, not sure if those rocks are big enough to safely drill into them without crumbling the rocks.

Is that pvc coming from your return pipe? How do you have it setup? Spray bar style?

11. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am using zip ties to hole the rock, and I am carefully drilling the rock to zip tie it to the egg create. The PVC is the return, and I do plan on using a spray bar style.

12. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
  13. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok I (meaning me and Nick) got all the rock in place.  And hopefully starting to foam this thing in the next few days.   Here is a pic of what it looking like as of right now.   Sorry the pics aren't the greatest, but what do you expect with a camera phone.   I choice to use alot of rock because I really don't care for the bare look on a rock wall, plus it will need less foam, epoxy, and sand.  
    [​IMG]
    I still need to trim the egg create up a little, cut the holes in the
    return PVC, cut and instill the black acrylic in the bottom of the
    tank. I think after that, this thing might see some water. I know that
    I need to cure the live rock, since its been dried out for a few
    months. I'm questioning if I should cure it in a Rubbermaid container or
    in the Bio Cube, or does it make a difference?

14. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks like it's coming together really nice Troy! One thing that strikes me...have you considered that once you have your spray bar enclosed in foam that it could be difficult to clean? Also, I assume that you will be drilling the holes once you get it enclosed in foam and all, how are you going to locate the tube under the foam for drilling? The bottom should be pretty easy, but the vertical could be a little tricky. Anyway, just a couple of things to consider...it's going to look great when it's done!

As far as the curing goes, I would cure it in whatever container is easiest for changing water. A rubbermaid container might be easier to dump out and clean residue from when you do water changes. Additionally, if you get a low, flat rubbermaid container, you could lay the rock wall flat wouldn't need as much water as you likely would in the BioCube.

Looking good Troy!

--AJ

15. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As far as the holes go in the spray bar. I plan on drilling it before the foam, then using something like tooth picks but longer to plug the holes. When after the foam goes on, I will sand the foam down to the spray bar. Hoping that will allow me to clean out the holes.

16. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The foaming is done.   I will need to let dry and then sand down to shape.   There is a few progress pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well I know that its triple expanding foam, but wasn't expecting for it to expand as much as it did.    I am going to haft to sand alot of this stuff off.  Now waiting intil next week to get the epoxy and sand to finish this project.

17. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well its been a while, but I have got some more work done on this. I still have some spots that need to be covered with sand still.   I have to find a way to attach the rock wall to the back, so it don't float.   And then build a stand for this bad boy.   I have been working on google skechup trying to design one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now this little bad boy is rockin.  Its been running for let then 24
    hours in this pic. I am getting pretty excited to get the biocube wet
    and get it in there.  I am looking to get one of them Stevie T's custom cups for this.  Not that its needed, but, still would be cool to have.
    [​IMG]
    Now this is just a sample of what I am looking to build for the stand.  
    [​IMG]

18. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats a really neat idea for the back wall. And the stand plan looks like it will be nice too! Congrats!

19. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got it filled with water today.  I am thinking with the new rockwall, and all the rock was dry, I will go throw a pretty bad cycle.   So I am planning on doing 50 to 75% water changes weekly intil I see the nitrates drop off.  I am hoping that this is ready for corals when the spring swap gets here. Not really sure what I am planning on putting in it yet.  I am planning on some colorful zoas, acans, incrusting montis, and a couple SPS but not sure what yet.
    I also stopped at Manards today and got almost everything I need for the stand, and will be starting that tomorrow.   I hope that will be done in the next few weeks. I will get pics later tomorrow on the stand.
    Troy

20. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Troy congrats man looks awesome!!
    Just one word of advice, (use a lid) Trust me on this one. Unless you plan on using an ATO.