1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Neglected my tank for an entire year...uhg

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So for the last year all I've done with my 60 gallon cube is clean the glass and feed the fish along with some very casual other maintenance.
    I clean the glass every few days with my algae free magnetic scraper. And feed the fish flakes daily. Once every month or so I clean the skimmer cup. That's about the only thing I've done for an entire year.
    I haven't tested the water for anything other than salinity nor have I even put my hands in the tank for the entire year.
    I feel like the laziest reef tank owner ever. Here are a few shots of the tank as it is today. Hopefully no one calls PITA on me because the neglect really shows. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is there any hope for this tank or should I just tear it down and start from scratch?
    Maybe I need to start feeding some ultra high dollar coral food or invest in some magic powders to make my water chemistry match that of the great barrier reef?
    Maybe I should add plastic pellets that circulate in a $200 tube?
    Maybe a $1000 skimmer could turn this tank around?
    :D
    To think I used to spend days trying to figure out what contraption I could add to my sump to make the livestock happier, healthier, and grow faster. Now that I think about it, none of that crap worked long term. It added more maintenance and definitely cost more. It really only fed my need to buy more plastic crap to cram into my sump and impress my friends.
    While this tank is not perfect, it proves you don't have to be a slave to your tank. It shows you can have a fairly nice looking aquarium without spending more that 10 minutes a month doing maintenance.
    I think maybe sometime this month I might suck out a little detritus that settled in the back corner...or give it another year.
    My name is Jeremy and I am no longer a reef addict.

2. HarleyHawk

HarleyHawk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Love it. I have a friend that is doing the same thing on his 150 and it is also kicking ***. He has sold a ton of coral out of it because it is doing so well.

3. Blaze

Blaze

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have also recently joined the auto water change club and hope I can learn to neglect my tank!

4. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    That clownfish looks like it is suffering. CALL PITA!

5. Brandon9400

Brandon9400

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Looks good! I did the same thing with mine for a year and a half but recently got the reef bug back and get my hands wet more often.

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    One of these days I'll get the real camera out and post some better shots. The only thing that isn't doing well right now is the green gonipora. I've never had long term success keeping them anyway.
    I am looking forward to spring fest do I can add a few more frags. It's been WAY to long since I bought anything other than salt.

7. iowathode Inactive User

Cedar Falls, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah you had better start over. Looks terrible. I'll take whatever you're throwing away btw ; )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  8. MXC207 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thats pretty impressive for not doing much. Haha. Congrats!!

9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    But you do have an automatic water change system setup, correct?

That's my next project, and something that I know will greatly benefit my tank.

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I have a lm3 and a remote pump. It changes a gallon a day. I have a 30 gallon reservoir for fresh salt water that I add salt to once a month. Best purchase I ever made.

11. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Looks good Jeremy ;0) The 1g a day WC on the Cube has kept things very good for you, congrats! It's nice to see because many tanks are either over or under nourished!

12. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Apparently the calcium and alk demands are pretty low still. Will be interesting to continue that as the stony coral grow although perhaps you can slow their growth rate to almost nothing.

13. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I see you are getting some impressive growth. This setup looks good with the sps colonies.

14. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    What do have for fish Jeremy?

15. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    You've had some good growth since I've seen it.