1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looking to Buy Need Overflow and Sump

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Rutherford, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Rutherford

Rutherford Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey Everyone I'm not new to reef keeping but I'm starting over a little bit.

Reef Keeping Background
    Owned a 29 Gallon Biocube that was modded for a custom filtration and protein skimmer. Most of the Corals were just soft corals, like zoa's, ricordia's, and few other other fun ones. The ran the tank for almost a year with no issues no crashes and no fish or coral deaths. I was worried at the time I had little kids they would mess with the tank and kill everything off so i chose to sell it off at that time and let it go to a really nice science teacher from monroe. It was really nice setup and everyone was impressed with the number of bio diversity I was able to cram into such a small space and yet everything lived in harmony. Most of the frags I put in this tank came from your festivals or individuals home and I'm greatful for the great deals, support, and knowledge I obtained back then.

Well the other day my father asked me if i wanted to come get his 75 Gallon Aquarium he ran it for about 15 years but put it up around 15 years ago after he had some unfortunate health issues were limiting him at the time from doing the maintenance he wanted to do. I obliged my fathers request and picked up the 75 Gallon tank but he wanted to keep the cannister filter he had running his setup. He is going to a similar setup that I had before and asked me if I was doing saltwater again if I would bring some of his live rock he had flown in from florida 30 something years ago which I have no issue doing.

Now this tank isn't drilled and it's an older tank with really thick but green glass when looking at the edge, so i'm a little worried to drill it out for the overflow to a sump as I don't want to crack the glass and I consider it a family heirloom at this point.

If someone wants to talk me out of going the hang on back overflow method I'm all for it but if no one can provide a good alternative then I'm hoping some of you amazing reef keepers from this site have some gear sitting around collecting dust you wouldn't mind turning into a little cash for your current projects.

Thanks in advance to all who responds.

2. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    HOB overflows work fine until they don’t Many users have had zero issues with HOB overflow and drilling a tank can be involved.

I have a sump in West Des Moines if you’re interested - wife wants it gone as it was from a 120g I no longer have.

-Eric

For Sale - Eshopps R300 Gen II Sump - Cedar Rapids

Sent from my iPhone via App

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  3. Rutherford

Rutherford Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Haha This is true I plan on drilling a hole above the return to break the siphon if the overflow quits working. I might be interested in your sump, it's a hair bigger than I need for the 75 but that won't hurt anything. Do you have a return pump fo sale to go with it?

4. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I have a couple of overflows, 1 HOB and 1 for drilled. I also have a 40 gal sump. Please see my for sale posting or message me if you have questions.
    Thanks,
    Derek