1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need my tank drilled

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fin, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Fin New User

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As the the subject says I'm looking for someone or a business that can drill out holes for a sump on my tank. If that's you, please contact me.

2. Brett McCarthy GIRS Member

Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    What size holes are you looking for? I have a 35mm bit you can borrow.

3. Fin New User

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it really that easy? I worry about cracking the glass so I wanted someone with experience to do it. Have you done your own? Or do you have tips to be successful?

4. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Its actually very easy imo, just make sure its not tempered glass as you can not drill it. It will break. check with polarized sun glass you will see a bunch of dark lines in glass. You can look at your windows of your car and you will see.
    Than use a peice of plywood or acrylic with the same size hole *** your glass bit. Than secure that down with a clamp or duck tape after you figure out the placement off the hole. I like to put duck tape on the opposite side of the hole to help keep chipping down. Also lay somthing down to catch the peice of glass from hitting the other side of tank also depends on the direction of the tank.
    Than use a garden hose to keep water running over bit to keep it cool as you cut (their are other options as well to this step) than slowly start your hole let the weight of the drill do the work. Try to keep it level the best you can when you punch threw the other side to. After that I like to take some sand paper and sand down the sharp edges and area where it chipped out some what smooth. Than clean up mess!.
    But all in all its a little nerve racking but easy just take your time and you be fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 via App

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Brett McCarthy GIRS Member

Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I have drilled a couple before for a frag tank. What size tank are you looking to drill?

6. Fin New User

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's kind of an odd size i think it's around 40 gallons it reminds me of a forty breeder but the front face of the tank is actually curved on both sides rather then 90 degree angles. I've never seen another one.

I think I may try to drill one of my extra 10g to get comfortable with the process and if all goes well go ahead and try the 40. Thanks for all the tips. I appreciate it.

7. Fin New User

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The stand its on is actually for a forty breeder.

8. Brett McCarthy GIRS Member

Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    If you need the drill bit you are free to borrow!

9. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I can drill it for you if you'd like. I've drilled more than a dozen tanks. West Des Moines area. Just let me know.