1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

News National Media Ignores the Data in Favor of Riding ‘Bluefish’ Wave

Discussion in 'News, Events & Fests' started by Bud, May 26, 2016.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  2. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I have read several recent articles about this. Stating that clown fish are hard to keep alive and of how they are all taken from the ocean. No research was put into the article or they would have known that most people buy captive raised now and they are one of the easier fish to keep alive. I summed it up to everyone wants to get their piece in and ride the Finding Dory wave of journalistic prosperity. Too bad they don't fact check their work!

3. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I'd be all for retailers, especially large volume stores taking the responsibility as a set in stone policy to not sell regal tangs to people that can't provide proof they have a currently set up saltwater tank of sufficient "short term" size 55+. There was a clown genocide after Finding Nemo, did it cause ecosystem damage? No. But it was still unneeded death of creatures due to idiocy and greed. Yes it's a burden on the retailer, but if we do this for puppies we should be doing it for something infinitely more threatened in the wild than pitbulls.

And just to clarify. I know regal tangs arent a threatened or endangered species. Just that I'm pretty sure way more supply issues than pitbulls.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Suppose the popularity of "nemos" after the movie pushed captive breeding efforts?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    You can't kill clown fish unless you try. Couple weeks ago a pump flipped over and toasted the qt tank, all except for the clown fish. Hearty little bastards.

6. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    no fare, I have wanted to get a blue hippo tang for several week now. Just waiting for the right time when I can dedicate to watching and caring for it. Now I look just like a movie follower. :(

7. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Poser lol