1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My Shedd Aquarium review-that i left on their fb page

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChapmanFM, Jul 16, 2016.

1. We got there at 930 waited over an hour to get in, didnt know you should buy tickets online. They only had two cashersfor regular line. However over a dozen people standing around telling you were to go. (this aint walmart go open a register) Seemed dirty, we ate at the vendor down in the basement next to the dolphins, pretzel, nachos, 2 drinks 18 bucks, Pretzel was cold as in out of the freezer, no salt. Would not waste my time again. We went back to the field museum ran into people there, they asked us about it, told them to go to their local fish store, be more enjoyable.

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    That's too bad. Ive never been there, but have heard its a nice aquarium. How were the tanks and inhabitants?
    They are also a supporter of the club and provide admission tickets for our raffles. Which is nice of them.
    Sounds like they need some management stepping in to smooth things out and get things cleaned up a bit.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It has always been that way. They obviously do not care. I think everyone would happily pay another $ to hire 2 more cashiers.

I guess the head director would rather have a larger salary

4. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I agree it's always been poorly managed. Ive gone there 4 times since the late 80s and it always has issues. The best closest public aquarium Ive been to is the Dallas World Aquarium. Sadly that's the closest worth going to.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Not so.

I think the Omaha Zoo aquarium is top notch.

6. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I've been to Omaha and New Orleans. Omaha was a much better aquarium. I think it's very good, but haven't been to many to compare.
    I also arranged a behind the scenes tour of Omaha for the club and that was really neat IMO. Showed us everything and took the time to answer all our questions. Didn't feel rushed through there at all.

7. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I agree. I like Omaha too.

8. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Ah yes I forgot Omaha. Better to go to than Shedd, haven't been there for years though.

9. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Has anyone been to the aquarium in Kansas City? Sea Life? I've wanted to check that out.

10. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    In my opinion, Omaha is a better package deal than Shedd.

11. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    It is ..... I been to a few zoos in the world and Omaha is a neat zoo, one of the worst is Brookfield.

12. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Omaha has a beautiful, well-kept aquarium. It's not as big as other aquariums I've been to, but they make up for it in quality. The National Aquarium in Baltimore is okay. It has its charm. The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA is extremely good. But since Omaha is in our back yard, it's really hard to beat! On top of that, you get an entire zoo to go along with it!

13. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    The Maui Ocean Center is really nice too and has an outdoor pool that is full of fish I would have loved to take home.

14. gordonh

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My favorite is the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The Sea Life ones aren't that great. There's one in the Mall of America too, and they're small and aimed at younger kids.

15. The one under mall of america is nice too.

16. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    The stingrays were awesome, there was one that you could tell liked to show off. We went kinda late at night so most things were asleep, I was rather disappointed in some of the tanks, seemed rather small for the inhabitants in them