1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My 320 bulid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AdamLawrence, Aug 20, 2016.

1. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I move to Marion the end of may had to finsh the basement and frame up two bedrooms to. I will be doing a small fish room i hope everything fits!. I will have a in wall tank had to cut out a few studs and put in a header it was a little nerve racking snice it was a load bearing wall. I was planning on putting back up my 220 but got the okay from the bride to go ahead on a bigger tank . I liked the Dimensions of my current tank 72x24x30 and decided to go with 72x36x30 that should give a little more room to work with and get me to the 300 club. As far as the equipment goes i will be using all my current equipment from my last set up with a couple new toys like the vertex cerebra and two sea swirls. My tank solid be shipping out the 7th of September i can't wait. Also had to put a new door in so i could get my tank and stand in to that's when you know you have a problem when you take out a good sliding door and put in a french door so you have room to get your stuff in lol. Here's a few pictures i have taken when i remember. I welded the stand up to day just need to prime and paint next[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I will try to keep the pictures coming!

Sent from my SM-N920V via App

2. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Off to a good start! Looking forward to the updates.

3. Tank GIRS Member

Bettendorf
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Looking forward to seeing some of your ideas! I just had the electrician come this morning and quote to set up electrical in the fish room for my 300 in wall build.

4. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the process of building in my 5' 120, I can't wait to grow up and have real tanks like you guys!

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I'll be following this one!!

6. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The stand is primed painted and clear coated will put on the plywood tomorrow and move into the basement. Hoping to get the remaining walls framed up and sheeted sat. Think I will use the sliding door that i took out for my door to. I ordered a Panasonic erv unint for the fish room hope i made the right chose thought about just an exhaust fan but went this route.

7. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Stand is done all it needs is a glass box to finish it[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    glass tank or acrylic?

either way - you want another sheet of 3/4" on there

If glass, then add a piece of white foam (the beady white stuff that the tank ships in works, can get at stores too)

If acrylic then nothing (no foam)

9. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0

10. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    @TurbosAquatics
    So i should put two 3/4 sheets down?

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Yes, 2 sheets of 3/4". Aruco brand 23/32" is the best and I recently saw this at a Gilcrest-Jewett so that factory is back up (probably has been for a while - it burned down a few years ago). It cuts really awesome - the top lamination is thick so you don't have to sand away all the chips. But it's $$.

Then coat it with any oil-base paint to seal it up

This is all assuming it is a non-rimmed glass tank, guess I made an assumption there!!! I was looking at the stand and just assumed that this would be a rimless tank in general - is that correct? If not you don't need the 2nd layer (or the first, really)

12. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    It will have an aluminum frame and still sit on white foam to

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Can't say I've seen one like that before! New or used? Custom build? Manufacturer? Got any pics?

Yeah the trim piece that would eliminate need for foam is like the ones that come on a stock tank like Aqueon, etc. One of my customers has a Miracles tank and that came with a thin trim "band" around the perimeter but that isn't structural like the off-the-shelf tanks. I'm guessing this is what you mean

14. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Its a custom tank i ordered from customaquarims.com i dont have any pictures of the tank yet supposed to ship out the 7 of September

15. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Well it finally came I went to waterloo and picked it up at the shipping Depot I couldn't wait till Tuesday when they wanted to deliver it and I didn't want to take the day off either. I have family coming over this afternoon and should be putting it on the stand. The shipping weight with the krat was 950 lbs![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910V via App

16. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    That's awesome. What did your neighbors think about all that going on?

17. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    They just want to see everything when I'm done and the tank when I got the krat broke down

18. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Well I got the tank put in its spot it took a little elbow grease but we got it done. Thanks to my neighbors a good friend and family and a nice motorcycle lift that saved allot off work! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    You need a bigger door so you could drive the Bobcat in and save some lifting lol.
    Looks like your build is coming along really well. Keep on posting updates. I am following along.

20. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Doing a test fill [​IMG]