1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! My 120 resurrection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tbraz, Aug 21, 2016.

1. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    After 2 years of sitting around and 4 questions from my wife about what I'm gonna do with all my saltwater stuff I've decided to do a new build with everything I've learned from running my tank for a couple years, and my number 1 complaint before was not enough space so this time I've decided to use a whole corner of my basement that used to house a wood burning stove and is unuseable as anything else. I'm planning on a using slate on the walls, a custom door and a sea horse tank to the left of the big tank

Attached Files:

2. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    well I figured out how i want to make my door, I'm going with a dutch style split door so when I'm in the room working I don't have to be so closed off but i can still the the babies out. Now its time to figure out my plumbing. With my previous set up I had a 29 gallon sump which was barely enough room for anything especially my big diablo skimmer, which ended up just sitting there after I switched to an algae scrubber, but with all this new room, and a couple years away from the hobby, I don't really know where to go from here so any ideas or pictures of your equipment room would be greatly appreciated.

3. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I would buy a 40 breeder from petco when they do a dollar a gallon sale and use that for your sump than take the 29 gallon and use that for a refugium and your adding more volume and that will help keep things a little more stable to

Sent from my SM-N920V via App

4. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I've decided to ditch the corner overflows and go with a coast to coast style to give me more room in the tank and make my corner window as big as possible. I haven't completely decided on what to do with the old holes, I'm torn between a closed loop and just plugging them, I would love to hear some pros and cons of each and any advice on building my coast to coast and drilling my tank.

5. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Latest update, The drilling of the 120 didn't go as planned, the bit caught on the second hole and split the tank from top to bottom so after a quick trip to north liberty I am the proud owner of a new to me 180. The stand has been rebuilt, the wall has been modified and now the tank is in the garage waiting. My help to move it was supposed to be here hours ago but I'm starting to think he went golfing

6. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    It's been 4 months and unfortunately the tank isn't anywhere close to where i want it to be, I had a couple other projects get in the way, mainly Pygmeys canopy and Christmas lights, and i let my tank slide. My nitrates somehow went through the roof and I lost almost everything I put in the tank. I've since pulled a lot of the rock because it was leaching so much phosphate and i'm just about to start on building my diy live rock insert.

I've also started redoing my filtration. I somehow cobbled my last system together as i learned and it thrived, i've built this 1 as best as i knew how and mostly by the book but its been a nightmare. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on throwing a big sump together until i'm sure i know what works so i'm keeping my 40gal sump and adding a secondary sump to hold the skimmer and scrubber.

I was also planning on using slate on the walls and i'm on the fence about that too since i've changed the flooring so that's in limbo as well.

DSC_1445.JPG

DSC_1446.JPG

DSC_1447.JPG

DSC_1448.JPG

DSC_1449.JPG

DSC_1451.JPG

DSC_1451.JPG

20161230_191201.jpg

7. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Before you ditch your live rock, have you considered treati g ot with lanthanum chloride (seaclear phosohate remover)?

I have done this a few times by treating in a brute can and can reduce phosphates from sky high to undetectable in a couple of weeks.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  8. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Here is a link to the phosphate remover that I use: Amazon.com : Seaklear 1040105 Phosphate Remover Commercial QT : Patio, Lawn & Garden

And a discussion on RC on the topic: Lanthanum Chloride Use in a Large Reef - Reef Central Online Community

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  9. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    I have also given my rock a acid bath to remove phosphates. It's a few day process, but effective.

10. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I was planning on doing some kind of acid bath, i might not use it but I want to have the option. I moved my drain plumbing tonight and got my filter sock holder siliconed in and hopefully my socks will be in by tomorrow so i can get them fitted.