1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Moved and lost control on my tank

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by joshgimer, Jun 5, 2016.

1. joshgimer

Moorland, Ia
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    A few months ago I moved from one town to another. At the first home I had my tank in my living room. This helped me make sure I kept up on my water changes and I would notice if something wasn't working right.
    After I moved my tank ended up downstairs and was out of sight. I had planned to have it in a room with a pool table (it's a 24 gal. Cardiff tank so it's nicely tucked in the corner). Well it took me close to 3 months to get the table into the room, this also meant I wasn't ever in the room. I feed my fish every other day, but I ended up with the mentality of, oh I get that water change next time.
    The poor tank didn't but 2 water changes in those 3 months. Before I was doing weekly changes. I have gotten back to doing weekly changes again, but I lost a few Zoas and the only Sps that I had in the tank. The 2 clownfish and blue/green chromis seemed to be just fine. I have had the tank for a couple years now but feel like I lost a lot of knowledge in those months I was not attentive. I have also never been bad to my tank and caused an issue like this before.
    Has anyone ever had something like this happen or just had life get in the way and had to recover their tank? [​IMG][​IMG]Is this going to be like having a young tank again, or will it recover back to its old glory?

Here's a picture of what I have going on in there now. Also a picture of what I had when I first moved in.

Sent from my iPhone via App

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    It happens. Just get it back on track with maintenance and hopefully it will recover for you.

3. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    I'm guessing your phosphates and nitrates are really high. Unless you have something to pull them out the water. Sps would be the first to go. Not sure on zoas, normally they thrive in dirtier water.

If you get your parameters back to where they should be, your tank should come back around. Just do regular Water changes to stabilize the tank again.

What do you use to test salinity?

4. Placid

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0
    I had an incident where I didn't change my filter socks for 3 weeks. It was so gunked up it caused ammonia. Hardly traceable on a test but it was their and caused me to lose a few zoas and the tips on two my SPS died. I instantly changes the socks. Cleaned up the tank and did a 30% water change. Three days later everything looks great again and I snipped off the dying or dead ends of the sps and they are on a good road for growth again. This was caused by the life gets in the way story. (2 kids, major home remodel, building a new home and working 60+ hours week at the day job).

5. joshgimer

Moorland, Ia
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I use a refractometer to test salinity. I tested my perimeters with Api twat kits. They seem to show things are ok, but they are getting old. I know there are a lot of opinions on test kits, but what would you recommend.

6. tangers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I would not recommend using api. I use api only when I'm cycling a new tank and that is it. I highly recommend salifert. I use salifert for everything .

7. joshgimer

Moorland, Ia
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ok, thanks. I will get a kit ordered right away