1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Meds & External Skimmers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Actuary, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Kind of an unusual question - at least it seems odd since I did quite a bit of googling to no avail. A lot of medications/treatments call for skimmers to be taken offline or have their collection cup removed (for in sump skimmers). The removal of the collection cup is often preferable to help oxygenate the water since certain meds may result in decreased oxygen (prazipro and red slime remover for example). I have an external skimmer and just open the gate valve all the way so the water level in the skimmer drops and the skimmer doesn't collect anything. This still has the benefit of continuing to oxygenate the water. However, I recently got to thinking that meds may still be getting trapped in the body of the skimmer even though I'm not collecting any skimmate. Or is there likely enough mixing still going on in the skimmer that meds are more or less remaining in the water? Any thoughts?

Here's a pic of my skimmer with about a 6" foam head inside the skimmer body:

skimmer.jpg

2. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I may not have the answer you are looking for but do you ever go back to this area of your tank in the middle of the night when all of the lights are off and think that your skimmer is a person?
    Going back to your question, I would think that some Meds would get trapped in the bubbles because the skimmer would still try to do its job. What if you turn it off for a few minutes, let the bubbles/meds run out of it for say 15 minutes, and turn it back on for the sake of oxygenation? I would also like to see anyone else's experience as I am dosing dr. Tims waste away once a week which suggests to turn off the skimmer but does not specify how long.

3. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I dosed red slime remover at one time and left the skimmer going after removing the collection cup. It took care of the slime so I lean towards the meds still make it into the water enough to do their job, though perhaps at a reduced level.

4. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Lol yeah it got me a couple times when I first got it and just had it standing in my fish room.

I like this idea. I did this for a while yesterday actually and will probably continue with this method.

That's an internal skimmer... that's definitely the preferred method. You don't want to try that with an external skimmer :).

5. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Ah, well I'm 0-2 on threads I thought I could help on related to skimmers @Actuary@Actuary! Sorry about that! On the plus side my wife's complaint that I "spend too much time reading articles about reef aquariums online" is clearly unfounded... :)

6. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    @StormyMoe@StormyMoe keep at it! I'm sure you'll find an article or question you excell at someday!

@Actuary@Actuary The meds should still collect in the bubbles of the skimmer if you leave the skimmer running; however they aren't being exported (not making it to the cup). The meds should still have some contact with what they are trying to cure by having the skimmer help in circulating water through it but it may just take longer or not be as effective? Some times it's hard to say if the meds work or not as it is, so in this case it's hard to say if it'll hurt or not.