1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Mean clowns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ERG, Sep 13, 2016.

1. ERG

ERG

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Are clowns always mean or just when they are trying to breed. It makes doing anything in my tank next to impossible.

Attached Files:

2. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    That's why nemo isn't going in my tank again they were worse than the piranhas i had.

3. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    They look to be similar size, which most likely means they are trying to establish dominance. Once this happens, the more dominant one will get larger than the other and turn into the female. The fighting should die off after that happens. I've heard to sort of accelerate this process you can try to feed more or spot feed the one that's looks more dominant. But then you have to watch your parameters and water change more often.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 via App

4. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I bought 2 tiny "regular ol" clownfish a few years back. One naturally grew larger than the other as what would happen in nature, and they get along with everyone in the tank. NEVER showing aggression. Now if they both were more mature, they would have been already somewhat established in their own "harem" whether in the wild, at the breeder, or other fish supplier. Putting just 2 of them, at a little more mature age, into my tang could have yielded the same outcomes that you are experiencing... Aggression. Like Chief Reef stated, they are trying to both be the dominant clownfish it sounds like.

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    If they're paired up I think they are usually pretty territorial. I don't know if if it coincides with actually laying eggs or not. My pair has never laid eggs in my tank, but they did before I got them, and they are still very territorial. I get my hand too close to their nem and they are going to come after me.

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    yup, once they have their spot picked, they are brutal. Drawn blood many times. A pair of rubber gloves eliminates that.

7. ERG

ERG

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info everyone

8. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Mine have never given me any trouble, I did try to add another pair, and the added pair didn't play nice so they were promptly removed

9. Lol I take care of me 15 tanks only 2 freshwater. 1 being pirranah.

Clownfish are the only fish to have ever bitten me lol.

I even have tanks with eels.

Tomatoe clowns being the worse.

10. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Wow. My clowns are just "happy go lucky" and never aggressive to other fish or me, even if someone gets into their territory of the tank.

11. chromess 01

chromess 01

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Of the clowns I have and have had, only 1 has been a terror. Tangerine albino. Stick your hand in the tank it either bites or slams into you at full speed. If you stick your finger in and it sees it, it sits there watching the surface waiting. Ive ended up having to catch it in a qt box and hold it up against the glass to clean. Then it tries to get my fingers where Im holding the box. I tried just catching it in the box but it knew how to jump out. Doesnt bother any fish just anything you stick in the tank.

12. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Pairs that are breeding or attempting too have been the worse in my experience. They are protecting territory and if they have a nem can be even worse. As @xroads@xroads said - they can be brutal and unrelenting