1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Magnificent Rabbit Fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AdamLawrence, Feb 7, 2016.

1. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    So I was in my LFS and he has had a magnificent Rabbit Fish in their for quit awhile and our is slowly going down hill getting skinnier and skinner each time I go in their. I did not want to see pass either. So I negotiated with the owner and got him for free. (But if he lives I have to pay for him not really a problem for a magnificent fish)
    I have him in my qt tank put some of my macro algee in their and was eating immediately and keeping it stocked so he dosent run out. I feed rods food and also flakes he eats it all. Is their anything else that I could give him so he can put some weight back on or is it just time. I have had good luck with skinny fish but this one's is skinny and more than I like him to be. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Nori sheets and time and have you tried spineral the veggie pallet food for fish with vitamins that might help a lot

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    any type of veggie. They love caulerpa, and sometimes cheato.

4. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I had one that loved those 2mm Spectrum sinking pellets (the garlic ones I think) and got fat on them and nori and also LRS reef frenzy. Not sure if the pellet acceptance was a quirk of that particular fish or not but they are pretty nutritious in a small package to help fatten, if the fish will eat them.

5. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I am feed him caulerpa that what I have growing for algae. I will try pellets the only kind I have is new life spectrum thera+a.

6. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Yeah those are the same ones. I looked up the label. Maybe he will like them and it wasnt a fluke haha.

7. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Ours eats pretty much everything noted above (nori, algae, NLS pellets) as well as chunks of krill.

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    It sounds like you are doing good as is. LRS makes some really good foods, and I think they have one geared more toward the herbivore. Those are probably enriched and would include everything necessary to pack on some weight with a quality food. Feed several times a day and keep the water quality in check.

9. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I would have to lose the little guy didn't know if their was anything else that I should be giving him