1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Low Alkalinity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cameron, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Hello All - My 2yr old tank (14g Biocube, w/3 zoas and a duncan) has developed to the point of consistently having low KH (5-6 dKH) and Mg (1360). My other parameters are fine with pH 8-2-8.4 and Calcium 420. I do 2g/10day water changes, and dosing with microbe-lift complete, which I won at springfest but finally run out.

As my tank matures and I add more corals, any thoughts on boosting my KH & Mg and keeping my pH and Calcium in balance.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    What kind of salt?

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I would start with kalkwasser in the top off and see how that keeps up with demand.
    Super simple and cheap place to start.

4. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Baking soda is another super cheap option for alk. Mg at 1360 isn't an issue.

5. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Reef Crystals

6. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I'm not using a ATO. Would I add it when I do my water change? Do I need to be concerned with a sudden shift in my water parameters? Same goes when I use baking soda?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  7. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dude you gotta get an ATO then! Totally worth the cash. BRS has a nano osmollator for super cheap right now. The you can add kalk to your ATO. You probably will only need about 1 tsp per 5 gal to start. Be conservative with it. The more stable, especially with alk, the better. I agree, your mag and calcium levels are fine. Dont worry much about dosing bacterial stuff. Also try not chase numbers. Just be consistent with dosing and water changes yo.

8. Fred

Johnston, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I used baking soda in past for a 20 gal to raise kh. I think brs even has a calculator to help the amount of dosage.

9. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    FYI - Baking soda, AKA sodium bicarbonate

10. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Yup. $7.49 for 13.5 pounds at Costco. That lasts me roughly a year in my 400g tank.

11. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Well it seems like baking soda it is. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for all the advice.

12. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    check the dosing calculators on BRS for starting points.
    With a small tank like yours dose slow and start on the conservative side. Big alk swings will mess up a tank pretty quick.