1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Loc-line pliers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Nov 25, 2017.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Anyone in the Des Moines area have the loc-line pliers. I want to split my return line with a Y and need the pliers to reattach the locline. Don't want to spend $15 for a pair for a one time usage!

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    just put them in boiling water for a few min and then you can snap & unsnap easy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

4. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I run mine under hot tap water for a couple minutes first and that has always worked for me

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  6. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thanks Bud. I'll probably come and borrow them. I'm a bit concerned on mixing new pieces of loc line with old pieces. The tank, including overflow and loc line return are 14 yrs old. From a visual look it seems that the pieces are not exactly the same size. So, while I'm able to attach the 'Y' adapter to the appropriate spot on the return, easy enough, (almost seems loose), I cannot manually attach the old locking to the 'y' adapter.

7. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I finally had time to get back to this today. Thanks to @Bud@Bud and @xroads@xroads . The pliers worked great for connecting the straight line pieces. But they did not work for attaching the straight loc-line to the 'y'. Hot water wasn't enough. But soaking in boiling water for a couple minutes did the trick.

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am glad it worked. A little boiling water makes all the difference in the world.