1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cameron lake, May 25, 2016.

1. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
    What does everyone use for lights. i use leds. iI made this thread maby to persuade me or you guys to use something else so lets hear it guys what do you use t5/ metal halide / leds/ sun / combos comment what you use and your experience with what you use. ;);););) lets see it

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    400w radiums and 4 x AI hydras is current.

I think another good combo is t5s and LED's. I just haven't been completely satisfied with my tank lit strictly with LEDs.
    I had 4 x AI sol blues, wasn't satisfied. Then added a T5 fixture and was happy with that. Then did 4 x AI hydras without the T5, wasn't satisfied again. Then I stuck all the LEDs up there so I had 8 units over the tank. Any power efficiency of the LEDs was lost running 8 units, still wasn't really thrilled. Now I'm happy with the halides and LEDs. For now anyway...

3. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I have switched over to some off brand Chinese ZEDs about 6 months ago and have been successful with SPS's up high, softies in the middle and low, the Acons are iffy but surviving high up. My Zoa's are also doing ok but not great. some are stretching others are on the bottom with no issues. I run UV about 10-11 hours, 2 kinds of blue about 9 hours and white about 5-6 hours.

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I run all of them. Halide-t5-led combo on sps tank. A t5 on frag tank. T5-led on LPS tank. And just recently led on a softie tank.

In my experience halide has had best growth.
    T5 with or without led is by far the best coral color in my case.
    And led has had the slowest growth but colors were good. I tried led in the past and didn't like them. But could have been operator error so I am gonna give a try again.
    I like the pop the blue led give. The most natural and best look in my opinion is halide followed by a close second t5.
    The t5 is really nice. It's plug and play once you get your bulb combo zeroed in.
    I think my problem with led is there is too much to tinker with in terms of spectrum. I am trying the radion on radiant color schedule and so far I really like it. We shall see how it goes.
    Now what works best for one might not be the best for someoneelse. Just gotta figure what works for you long term.
    Also. All lights are different. Build quality. Bulb or diode layout, reflector size and shape, same with optics an control ability of each could also be a factor. So many variables.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I have ran them all at one time or another.

Overall, it is really hard to beat a good T-5 setup. Bad part about T5 is changing bulbs, so on a big tank it gets expensive.

Right now I am going all LED just because of that reason.

6. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    T5s on the display tank. LEDS on the frag tank and cube tank. Great growth and colors on the DT but little polyp extension except on the millis. Finally getting good coloration on the cube, but so o on growth. Haven't been able to really tune in the colors on the frag tank to my satisfaction.
    --- Auto-Merged, May 25, 2016 ---
    @jeremy@jeremy how big is your frag tank. What T5 fixture and bulbs are you running on it?

7. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    My frag tank is a 40 breeder. ATI 36 inch 6 bulb light. 4 blue plus 1 coral plus 1 purple plus for bulbs.

8. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    I got a combo LEDs LEDs my coral are starting to pop colour ..... Kessil 360w x 2 and three ai primes

9. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    I am running a Halide, T5 and Reefbrite.. I have LEDs in my Biocube with no lenses and it grows things well too.. But when I visited World Wide Corals, speak with Cornbred or Jason fox they all agree that a T5 / MH combo grows corals very well for them and then they have Reefbrites in there to make them pop