1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Life Cycle of a Reefer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cameron, May 22, 2019.

1. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    As I continue to battle bubble algae, it crossed my mind that there must be a life cycle for those who keep saltwater tanks. Overcoming the initial challenge of setting up the tank, inevitably leads to complacency and a resulting invasion of some sort of pestilence. Fighting off this scourge likely leads to another round of complacency and another scourge. How long do you think it takes to develop the level of determined OCD necessary to keep a saltwater tank going?

It's got to be more than 2.5 years as I feel like I'm just starting. On the up side, having a community to post this type of message helps keep one in the fight.

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I think you're on to something. What you describe is pretty much what I went through on my tank. Would probably still be doing it if I hadn't tore down and sold it off to move.
    I'm sure most have a similar "lifecycle" as a saltwater hobbyist.

3. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget the seasonal cycle: currently the weather is (supposedly) turning nice, we have more hours of daylight, we want to be outside and doing things. I think for most, the summer hours lead to some level of neglect on our tanks, then fall and winter come and we spend months getting things back on track, just in time for spring to come around again.

I was also thinking about variable environment inside our homes during the summer recently: depending on your tank placement in the house, it may very well receive hours more light than what you have programmed, sunup and sundown become a little more literal. And if you are like me, you try to keep the electric bill down by opening windows and not running the AC as long as possible, leading to higher tank temps than it would see in the winter. I generally haven't kicked on the AC until it stays hot at night and I can't sleep, but it could be hitting 80+ during the daytime when I'm gone at work. Extra heat and light can both lead to nuisances in the tank, when we are already giving them the least attention

4. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Since I have been doing this since I was about 12, I don't think I can relate. :)

5. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's all a game of chess, dude. Every move has a consequence, good or bad. I have found that embracing the challenges, developing a plan, and executing is super satisfying. For me, it's all in the mindset.