1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

July/August Event Details!!!! You don`t want to miss this one!!

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by Waverz, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    We are pleased to announce:
    The Greater Iowa Reef Society's Cedar Falls Waterloo Area Campout !!!
     August 3rd and 4th 2012
    Black Hawk Park Cedar Falls, IA
    Casey and I have been talking about doing this one for awhile now and have a heck of weekend planned for anyone able to attend.
    We will be camping at Black Hawk Park in Cedar Falls, IA Friday night August 3rd and the following day do a 4 hour river float.
    I will be setting up my camper Friday morning and will be reserving the spot next to it as well so we can all camp together.
    This will be no ordinary camp out however.  Once it gets dark we plan on turning the park into an outdoor movie theater.  We will be watching 2 GREAT reef related movies on a GIGANTIC 16' x 9' movie screen.  Movies will begin at 9:15 sharp.
    The movies we will be watching are Coral Sea Adventures followed by Coral Sea dreaming which was aired during the reception at MACNA.
    The following day we are planning on doing a float down the Cedar River.  We will be putting in a few miles upstream from the campgrounds and will float back to the campgrounds which takes around 4 hours on an inner tube.
    Some food/snacks will be provided as well as some beverages.
    If you plan on doing the float you will need to bring your own tube/kayak/canoe.
    Please feel free to ask any questions here or PM either Casey (RuggerKC) or me(Waverz).
    All are welcome!  Looking forward to seeing you all there!

2. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I will be there sounds like fun. Tubing and getting drunk, yes please. Finaly an event i can make it to

3. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    You don't have to camp to attend either event.

4. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Man this sounds like a great time.

5. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    How big is the spot next to yours? I might be able to bring my inlaws 5th wheel up and offer up a few more sleeping spots if anyone needs them

6. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Count me in!

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Welllll....if we get enough people wanting to do this there is a possibility we may move the event to Casey's property just a few miles north of the park.
    The concern is we may not have enough room for all of us to camp together at the park w/o reserving and paying for spots well ahead of time.  Also, other campers may complain that the light from the projector is too bright and the PA too loud.
    If we had it at Casey's we would have more privacy and non-campers wouldn't be forced to leave at 10:30 when the park closes.
    Let's leave this open for debate.  Casey said it would be OK to have it at his place.  What do you guys think?
    As much as I like the idea of having this at a public park logistically we may be better off moving this party to private property.

8. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Let's start getting a count on campers.

9. fewbert

fewbert Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im a maybe have to check with the old lady lol

10. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I plan on bringing a small camper!

11. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Im in! who else is going and did we decide where it is for sure? Need a bit more info

12. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    It will be at my house. PM for address.